RP Guides+Comments

Go down

RP Guides+Comments Empty RP Guides+Comments

Post by Lowell on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:12 am

This topic is set up for all RP guides that people may want to create.

We'll start by introducing my character guide: on how to make your characters better than the rest.

HOW TO MAKE YOUR CHARACTER MOAR AWESUM THAN THA REST
The most important part of roleplaying is a character. And a proper one at that.

Without a character, nothing will be able to respond. Without a character, the story won't be able to progress. Without a character, you get empty threads.

So what makes a good character? Three things:
Personality+Motive
Powers(with weaknesses obv)
Character Development

Allow me to explain.
~~~~
After you finish writing up your initial post, ask yourself a few questions. Here's an example:
1)Why is he on this mission?
2)Does he like being on this mission?
3)What does he think of the world around him? Cynical/idealistic?

This will help you develop your character's motive and personality, allowing you to delve deeper into the character, thus making your character more well-rounded.
~~~~
No one likes a Mary Sue or an overpowered character. I've seen so many that I can't even count.
Don't make a werewolf vampire dwarf half-elven human who is an expert at riding flaming ice dragons one-legged while also being really good at the macarena while being able to move at speeds faster than light and is able to stop time.

Seriously. Just don't.

Give your character some limits. For example, if my character Cermandes has two crossbows that reload themselves automatically by magic, a potential disadvantage would be that it drains mana very quickly.
Even psychological limits work. Heck, the clichéd amnesia works! Just give your character weaknesses.
~~~~
And above all, make your character develop.
No one likes to see a character that constantly slams their ideals in everyone's face hoping they will be changed and he/she won't. It's the equivalent of going to a party and telling everyone how good you are and how inferior they are.
Of course, you can influence other characters through your action, but lest not forget that your character will be affected as well. Even a few short words can make a difference.

I'll have an example. Let's say Queen Cermandes is talking with a civilian about the defense of the country.
Civilian: I don't quite understand why the defense is so important.
Cermandes: It's because this city is constantly under siege, and if we don't defend ourselves, we all die.
Civilian: But must we suffer so many losses? Must we kill so many people?

And so on etc. etc.

Cermandes, after this exchange, would look at defense in a new light, having realized that killing people isn't the best option.

And the end?

I'll leave it to the other council members to post as necessary: they should have stuff up soon.

Last edited by Riku on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Lowell
Lowell
Rank 4 Poster
Rank 4 Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RP Guides+Comments Empty Re: RP Guides+Comments

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:30 am

TRY TO MAKE YOUR CHARACTER ORIGINAL

Because we don't wont a bunch of little elves or time lords running around the RPs... But try to limit your creativity a little bit, sometimes it can send you to that weird place in your mind...

PS: I was a bit out of ideas right now...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:39 am

Here we go

HOW TO WRIET BECKSTURIES

Alright children, sit down, because I'm going to talk to you about one of my favorite activities: writing (back)stories.

First off: Backstories can be very important. They can explain parts of your character's... character and personality, and influence how their actions go.

Second: Now, don't make ridiculous overused backstories where someone is actually the heir to some throne or orphaned because they were secretly powerful or are, well, 'a werewolf vampire dwarf half-elven human who is an expert at riding flaming ice dragons one-legged while also being really good at the macarena while being able to move at speeds faster than light and is able to stop time.' Just... no.

Third: Think of how your character is, then write the backstory. You should have an idea of how they sort of came to be, what they did until the time now. Explain their character, add little nuggets of trivia. Don't be monotone, but don't be crazy. Don't fling in a random incident where ghosts infiltrated their best friend's attic and culminated in a massive explosion, wiping out their house.

Fourth: Write it. It should make sense, and account for everything. If you need help with grammar or spelling (they can greatly affect people's understanding of the story) then use Microsoft Word. It might be annoying sometimes, but it can be helpful.

And that's all I got.

*throws blood in the air*

Or perhaps...

*scatters confetti in the air*

Adding Riku's and Lord HoNk's additions:

Lord HoNk wrote:Try to make another page on either paper or a program used to make documents. Then wait a while until you clear your thoughts of the story. Read the story again. It really helps you find out what just sounds dumb, and things you need to edit to just get it right!

Riku wrote:Start with a character trait, and work backwards.
If my character is dark and hates the world, why? If my character is kind, why? And so on etc. etc.
For example, if I start with a character that wants to protect people close to him, his backstory could be related to someone dying on his watch.

On that note,
Make everything matter. Don't put stuff in the story for the sake of it being there, for goodness sake.

Look at the other characters in the RP. Can you complement them or contract them? This helps to make the overall experience more interesting, as people DO NOT like everyone being the same.

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Currently playing : pokemon in my heart

View user profile http://ezlybored.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:31 am

(Just a note, you guys all have mod powers here, you can sticky threads like this)

Andrew
Site Owner
Site Owner

Currently playing : Halo 3
Location : Telling people to watch Eureka Seven. Watch Eureka Seven.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Death is... kinda hot on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:37 am

Aw, no elves and Time Lords? Suck muffin. I guess I won't start a Doctor Who RP. I'm guessing nobody would've wanted to do it anyway; we don't have THAT many Whovians on the site.

I'm a girl, by the way.
Death is... kinda hot
Death is... kinda hot
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Currently playing : the role of Neil Gaiman stan

View user profile http://spaghettisaurus-rex.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Distracted Max wrote:Aw, no elves and Time Lords? Suck muffin. I guess I won't start a Doctor Who RP. I'm guessing nobody would've wanted to do it anyway; we don't have THAT many Whovians on the site.
Well I was really talking about making those things on EVERY rp... You can make what you want to...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowell on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:38 pm

@Max: What Guy means is that you shouldn't follow the stereotypes. Yes, you can have elven creatures or Time Lords, but they need to be different.
Lowell
Lowell
Rank 4 Poster
Rank 4 Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:58 am

Don't make them freaking elven secret princes/princesses or Time Lords who are actually the Doctor's father/mother/brother/sister/whatever the gsdodyoehde0wyd0wey0. I happen to not be a fan, in general, of Time Lords who survived the war... unfortunately, it has to be rather permittable. Actually, in my Time Lord OC's case, she kinda died. But *shrug*.

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragnarok on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:33 am

Don't start the party without me.

Hw 2 describe da scene lik a pr0
We'll start with the basics.

BASICS
First, you must learn how to describe an OBJECT, before you describe a scene. For instance, let's say you want to describe a remote. You can start off by saying how the remote looks like, while you 'pick' it up. Describe how it feels like, and try and add how it connects to you. Here's an example:

As I bent over to pick the remote up, I realized that the remote was of a sickly, faded grey, with its small buttons organized in military looking lines. Picking it up with my left hand, I found that it was quite cool to the touch, presumably due to the fact that it was left in an air-conditioned room for quite some time, bringing back memories of a distant past.

ADVANCED STUFF
Now that you've got that covered, you'll want to know how to describe a scene. You don't just randomly describe loads of objects in a scene with loads of info. No; that would be boring. What you do, is that you want to find where your attention is focused on. Say your attention is focused on a pencil laying on a table in the room. You'll want to describe the pencil, yes, but you also need to describe the other things in the room slightly vaguely. You also can also state what the pencil is on to paint more of a picture in the reader's mind. Try to add where the light is shining on, and where it's coming from. Here's another example:

Gazing around the small room, it would seem that everything was somber except for where a pool of light enlightened a dark wooden desk that sat in the middle of the room. Immediately my attention was focused onto it. Atop the wooden table stood a white striped pencil, its background a faded yellow. Its outer lead was very blunt, as if it was used to scribble notes onto the beige-colored paper that perched a few centimeters to the right of it. Looking up, you could spot a blinking light that was filled with the emotion of its surroundings: Melancholiness. Looking back down, I noticed that the dull grey walls were lined with incomprehensible words in a very elegant manner, that were colored a very subtle purple.

END

So yeah. That's the end of the tutorial. Oh; if any of the templates here are edited and claimed by you to be yours, that would be very shameful of you. Please inform me first.

Tutorial on descriptive Fight Scenes coming real soon.
Ragnarok
Ragnarok
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragnarok on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:55 am

Fight Scenes.

Basics
Alright. This is going to differ quite a lot from descriptive scenes, so to start with the basics, you need to know how fight scenes work.

Downward Slash
This is basically the character swinging his/her weapon downwards.

Upwards Slash
This is the character swinging his/her weapon upwards.

Sideway Slash
This is a slash to the side. Now, this can be quite confusing. Slashing to the left would be slashing to the OPPONENT'S left, and slashing to the right would be slashing to the opponent's right.

Thrust
This is a thrust, typically used by fencers. It's when they plunge forward with their sword.

And there's parrying as well.

Upwards Parry
This parries the downwards slash.

Downwards Parry
This parries the upwards slash.

Sideways Parry
This parries sideways attacks. Remember, when the opponent is slashing to your left, you parry to the left, because he is slashing YOUR left, not to be confused with the sideways slash.

These are the basics for swords. As for taijutsu....

Jab
A simple forward punch. Try to say something like: I jabbed at him with my right hand.

Hook
A curved punch. You normally say you 'threw a hook at him'.

Uppercut
An upwards punch. You normally say: 'I shoryukened him'.

And blocking:

Block
A block.

Now that we've got all these covered, we can now move on to the next stage.

Intermediate
Now you've got to put all that together, with the exception that you describe the slashes a bit more. Here's an example:

John grabbed his sword and thrusted at my chest, his hands gripping the sword so tightly you could hear the sound of leather being torn. I moved to the right in a fast motion, and turned around to slash at his neck with my left hand. He blocked the slash with his claymore, and pushed my sword aside, leaving me immobile for a few seconds, which was all he needed to run towards me as I was staggering. He kicked me in the stomach, only adding to the pain that I had already felt, and kicked me again. I fell to the ground in pain.

Here you add some of that description into the battle, as well as describing the battle. Here's a taijutsu one:

Bob took a stance as I dashed towards him, my blood-stained feet running across the soft, wet grass. He immediately threw a hook at me as soon as I was within range, but instinctively reacting, I ducked underneath and managed to land an uppercut on his chin, sending him into the air for a second or so, before he landed back down onto the ground in a loud thump. I kicked his body, and he rolled to the side so his back was facing me.

Yeah.

END
It's important that you focus a lot more on the battle rather than the scene if you're trying to describe a battle scene. As usual, that's the end of the tutorial. Oh; if any of the templates here are edited and claimed by you to be yours, that would be very shameful of you. Please inform me first.

Tutorial on how to describe characters coming soon.
Ragnarok
Ragnarok
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragnarok on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:22 am

Describing characters. This is how I do it. Truth be told, the one I made for Eurel was a very rushed one, because I lost my characters original appearance, somehow. Here's the tutorial.

Basics
Alright. Try making a basic outline of your character. Are you done yet? Here's an example of a basic outline:

Brown hair, blue eyes, lean build.

Those three words are going to become a huge paragraph. Once you're satisfied with your own basic outline, move on to the next step.

Basic-Intermediate
We'll start describing a bit more. What does he have? Does he have short eyelashes? What color is his skin? Does he have anything special on his face? How long is his hair? Here's a more detailed version of my basic outline:

medium-length brown hair, lapis-blue eyes, lean build, porcelain-white skin, short eyelashes, black eyebrows.

Yeah. It should look something like that. Remember, you don't make it into a paragraph yet.

Intermediate
Let's put clothes into the picture. Describe his/her clothing. Does he wear a blue shirt? What kind of pants does he wear? Socks? Shoes? You get the idea. Here's an example of what your basic outline of clothing should be like:

Blue shirt, white pants, white shoes, white socks.

It should look something like that. Don't get too ambitious, and start trying to put that into your appearance. It needs to be more vivid.

Intermediate-Advanced
Now we'll start describing more. What does his shirt look like? Are his pants jeans? How long are his pants? How long are his socks? Do his shoes look like they've been used a lot? Let me describe more:

Blue polo shirt with white buttons, white baggy pants that reach down to his knees, white ankle socks, white sneakers with shoelaces untied.

That's better. Now to the final step, where you combine clothing and appearance, while describing them more.

Advanced
Here we go. Seamlessly integrate them into one paragraph, where they connect with each other, while adding more description to them.

Medium-length brown hair, lapis-blue eyes, lean build, porcelain-white skin, short eyelashes, black eyebrows. + Blue polo shirt with white buttons, white baggy pants that reach down to his knees, white ankle socks, white sneakers with shoelaces untied.

=
He has medium-length brown hair that only just touches the collar of his short-sleeved polo shirt, his fringe laying just below his short, black eyebrows. His blue-polo shirt rests on his porcelain-white skin, which only compliments his lapis-blue eyes, which are framed by short lashes. His shirt covers the top of his white baggy pants that reach down to his knees, which does not restrict movement as much as you may think. His white socks are comforted by his white sneakers, which always seem to have their shoelaces untied.

END
The end of the tutorial. Oh; if any of the templates here are edited and claimed by you to be yours, that would be very shameful of you. Please inform me first.

I'm currently thinking of more tutorials I should write up. Any ideas?
Ragnarok
Ragnarok
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Nah, man, that's coo.

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Okay I have noticed some people's posts are a little hard to understand. So I wanted to do this. 

Speech

Okay, there are ways that I have seen people post speech in some of the RPs that are confusing and sloppy. "So how should I post" you ask?

Here's an Example:

"Fuse If you touch my pizza I will kill you!"

-------------------------------------------------

It should not look like this:

Fuse If you touch my Pizza I will kill you!

-------------------------------------------------

Why? for the simple reason that often times people do not differentiate Speech fro actions(Which we will talk about next)

Here is an example:

Travis walked into the room Fuse If you touch my Pizza I will kill you!

------------------------------------------------

Pretty weird right?

Posts like that can make it hard for your fellow RPers to understand what you are trying to convey.

Multiple Characters:

Multiple characters can be differentiated with colors!!!! Yay..okay...

Example:

"Travis you are an Idiot!!!"

"I know Elder...I know...."

------------------------------------------------

Next is....

Actions

Actions are pretty important in an RP so we need to make sure that people under stand them.

Normal Actions

Normal Actions are what I consider things like, walking or picking something up. There are several way you can differentiate them from your characters speech

Example one:

"TRAVIS!!!!  I AM GOING TO HURT YOU!!!!"

Elder looked for Travis while after grabbing a knife from the kitchen
--------------------------------------------------------

Do you see how the action is bold to show that the speech has stopped? That helps the other RPers understand you better. It does not necessarily have to be Bold, It can be Italicized or Underlined. 

--------------------------------------------------------

Combat Actions

Combat Actions are a little different. Thanks to the newly added Dice function we can fairly Enter Combat in the RPs.

Example:

"There You Are!"

Elder Rushed at Travis to stab him with the knife

Does she kill him? 1-5 No, 6-10 Yes(I'm scared)

Guest carried out 1 launched of one RP Guides+Comments Dice_i10 (Dice.) :

--------------------------------------

That is how a Combat action should be done.

-----------------------------------------

Well I hope this helps you...If you see anything that I left out please Pm me.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum