To Force Change

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To Force Change

Post by no mom its ironic on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:06 am

Introduction
Welcome to Aegnara, a land where people are tutored in one skill majorly: ut cogere immutare. They learn to force change.

If you don't understand that, it's quite alright. It's quite a complicated explanation; feel free to sit down, if you haven't already. 'Forcing change' could be called many other names: manipulating being, transforming matter, or... magic.

The explanation to this is complicated and, unfortunately, very sketchy. It's hard to understand and hard to delve into for research. Essentially, there is a certain element (and I'm talking periodic table element, not Earth, Fire, Water, Air element) named Mutata. This is an element present in everything, from your toenails to prehistoric rocks.

Mutata has many variants, which are present in different concentrations in different items and thus give them different properties. In essence, Mutata controls the elements. These are the Earth, Fire, Water, and Air elements that I'm talking about now. Mutata is able to transform into multiple variants and thereby cause the very earth to change, plants to grow, the air around your hand to combust, a wave to stir without wind, and the wind to blow without warning. 

There are rare occurrences when creatures made entirely of Mutata, called Magistrae, are created. They are living beings, composed of Mutata and having complete control over their body and the Mutata variant their body is made of. Magistrae are not known as being necessarily hostile, peaceful, or even being sentient. Most are kept captive for the safety of everyone.

Humans are able to manipulate Mutata due to the Mutata present inside them. They are the only species on Aegnara intelligent enough to control Mutata; that, or the other species simply do not want to interfere with Mutata.

There is an odd tendency of Mutata; each variant seems to frequently be associated with a certain pigment. This is usually not evident in the many objects on Aegnara, but is especially evident in humans. Why? The major variant of Mutata affects the hair color, while the minor variant affects the eye color. There tend to be two variants of Mutata present in any human; they are not hereditary, meaning eye and hair color are not hereditary. Due to the pigment that the variants of Mutata attach themselves to, 'unnatural' hair and eye colors can result that, on Earth, would be impossible to occur naturally.

The color-element relationships are quite easy to recognize. They're what you would think: Fire is red, Water is dark blue, Earth is green/brown, Air is a pale blue. Straying from the base elements, Lightning is an odd electric blue/pale, pale gold, Ice is an... icy, cold blue, Darkness is black/a very, very dark brown, and Light is the straight golden color.

Some of the elements seem to branch on their own, though this is generally unnoticeable. The only major one to note is that the branching variants of Light have the ability to heal humans, though this is unable to resurrect the dead. No amount of magic has the ability to resurrect the dead.

Finally, we arrive at the last color. However, I will tell you this: we have covered all of the variants of Mutata. Then what are we looking at now? We are looking at pure Mutata itself.

Pure Mutata very rarely occurs in the human body, and results in pale eye colors and white hair. Pure Mutata is noticeably harder to control at first, but it can be converted into any other variants. However, it will never end up as powerful as one with that variant of Mutata present inside them. Those with white hair and pale eyes are best described as a 'jack of all trades, master of none.' Due to their initial difficulty in mastering manipulating Mutata, though, they were usually passed off as completely unable to change Mutata.

Now we change from Mutata to the people populating Aegnara, the humans. Their society consists of multiple classes, though the most obvious are the following: the royalty, the nobles, the middle-class, and the poor. Inter-class marriages are not common but not exactly uncommon, usually occurring between the middle-class and the nobles. 

Whoever has the higher class passes on their name, but if the two are of equal footing, the father's name is passed on. The middle class has the higher middle class and lower middle class within it, meaning that there are mothers passing on their name within the same general class at times.

Those who have successfully learned to manipulate Mutata are called demutators, and the art of manipulating Mutata itself is called mutatis. It takes 14 years of schooling to be deemed a demutator, and most people school their children themselves for the first six years, starting at the age of five. Then they go on to another school for four years, and then another for four years.

The months and the days within a month are not honestly that complicated. There are 365 days in a year and 15 months. Each month which is a multiple of 3 has 25 days, and the rest of the months have 24. The months are given no names. However, something to note is that school always begins on the tenth day of the first month and ends on the fourteenth day of the tenth month. Boarding schools may begin earlier to let the students get settled, but they do not teach early.

I've done enough explanation now about Aegnara; so let's move on to our story. Or at least, something concerning our story.

I'll introduce you now to Esa Fallore and her... half-brother, Bao Fallore. Esa, born on the twenty-first day of the 7th month in 1994, had been designated as one who specialized in Fire majorly and Earth minorly, with hair like red gold and bright green eyes. Bao, born on the twelfth day of the 10th month in 1994, appeared to utilizes Light for its healing powers and Wind as a secondary Mutata variant, with hair like spun gold and pale blue eyes.

The year was 2009, and it was the 23rd day of the 15th month. Esa's mother, Annora Fallore, and father, Tabor Befrin, were considering divorce, since the truth about Bao's birth was beginning to spread throughout the noble class and was draining on Annora's reputation. In order to give Bao a grace period of at least a year, Tabor decided to enroll him into a boarding school, enrolling Esa along with him so Annora would not fight his choice.

And now, now, the story will begin.

prettiest boyo

Currently playing : pokemon in my heart

View user profile http://ezlybored.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Force Change

Post by no mom its ironic on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Chapter 1

“So, Mr. Fallore, you’re interested in enrolling both your daughter and son into Olaenis Academy?”

Tabor Fallore nodded mutely, letting out a breath. “Well, yes. They’ve finished their first four years of public schooling at—”

“Yes, yes, your city’s public school…” the man conversing with Tabor looked down at a few papers he held in his hand. With one hand, he cleared brown hair out of his dark blue eyes and peered at the papers curiously. “Your children did very well there, that I can see. May I see them?”

Tabor jumped a little. “Uh, yes, of course. Well, actually, only Bao’s home right now; Esa went out with her mother, you see…”

The man sighed and tapped his fingers on his chair impatiently. “I’ll come back to see Esa later, it’s perfectly alright just to see your son right now,” he stated calmly. Tabor nodded and stood up, leading him to a nearby door and knocking on it.

“Bao? A teacher from Olaenis Academy is here.”

After a few moments, the door opened, revealing a 15-year-old boy with feathery, golden hair and pale blue eyes. “Uh, hi?” he muttered before stepping aside to let his father and the other man in.

The room was surprisingly spacious, at least ten feet by twelve feet, with a bed in one corner and a desk next to a nearby wall. It was also very simple; other than a wardrobe, chairs, and a drawer or two, there was nothing else to note in the room.

“So you’re Bao Fallore?” the man asked, offering his hand to the teen. A little hesitantly, Bao took the proffered hand and shook it. “My name is Alden Mande. I’m a teacher at Olaenis Academy.”

Bao nodded and paused to think of something to say. “Don’t they have Magistrae there?”

Alden laughed. “Yes, we do. So you’ve heard of us, have you?”

“Yeah. You were in the news last week for getting a pure Mutata Magistrae.” Bao paused. “Is that true?”

“We received a pure Mutata Magistrae nine days ago, yes. Anyway, I was seeing your father concerning your possible enrollment in Olaenis.” Alden sat down on a nearby chair and leaned over on his hands. “I’d like to know, first, whether you’re interested.”

“I’ve finished my four years at the public school here, and I guess Olaenis sounds cool enough.” Bao hid a yawn behind his hand. “I don’t know, really.”

“I see. So, you must use light and air… would you mind showing me what you can do?”
Bao smiled. “It’s no problem.” He held up a hand, palm facing away from him, and concentrated. Alden felt a wind rush by his right arm, where Bao’s hand was pointing, and grinned approvingly. The wind died down quickly, and Bao’s palm suddenly glowed with a blinding light. Alden couldn’t help but notice that the light flickered around his hand and even closed a miniscule paper cut.

“Was that good?” Bao asked, his voice nervous.

Alden nodded and was about to reply when he heard a door opening and then slamming shut.

“That must be Esa and Annora,” Tabor stated, sounding rather absentminded. He looked more interested in the clouds in the sky than the fact the rest of his family was home. “You can talk with her now then, I guess.”

In response, Alden stood. “Alright then, I think I’ll accept Bao’s enrollment into Olaenis. Given his school records, it would be hard not to.”

Tabor let out a breath in relief and smiled. “Thank you for taking your time, Mr. Mande.”

Alden merely brushed past him, looking around for a few moments until Esa and Annora walked into the living room. Annora stopped walking, holding a bag of groceries in her hand, and immediately responded to the surprise.

“Who’s this?” she asked, her voice carrying an underlying tone of annoyance, maybe even anger. Calmly, Alden bowed, softening Annora’s tone when she spoke next. “Who are you?”

“My name is Alden Mande. I’m a teacher for Olaenis Academy of Mutatis,” Alden replied, his voice smooth and polite. “You must be Mrs. Fallore. And this is your daughter, Esa?”

“Oh! You’re from Olaenis! Was Tabor going to enroll Esa and Bao there?”

“Yes, that was my plan, Annora,” Tabor said, stepping into the conversation. “He said he’d accept Bao, and…” He paused and looked at Alden. “Will you talk with Esa now?”

Alden nodded. “Yes, I suppose I will do that.”

“Esa?” Annora turned to her daughter, who seemed interested in exactly what was going on right then. “Would you mind going with Mr. Mande?...”

“No, it’s alright.” Esa smiled warmly at Alden. “So…”

“We could just talk here.” Alden sat down on one of the chairs in the living room, and Esa followed suit shortly after. “So, Esa, I’m a teacher at Olaenis Academy of Mutatis. Your father has expressed some interest in enrolling you and your brother there.”

Esa thought for a few moments, chewing on the inside of her teeth. “I’ve heard of Olaenis. It’s a very prestigious school, isn’t it?”

“Yes, which is why we send teachers to test people who want to enroll.”

“How exactly do you test us?”

“Well…” Alden looked Esa over, taking in her wavy, long hair like red gold, her emerald green eyes, and her overall simple dress; she wore a simple, light green shirt with sleeves reaching to her elbows, loose blue pants reaching two inches or so past her knees, and brown leather sandals. One thing stood out to him, though, this being the necklace she wore. It consisted of a simple length of white silk ribbon and a small ruby, but Alden couldn’t help but feel something was off about it. “Do you have gloves? I’d like to look at how skilled you are at mutatis, and given your red hair...”

“Oh! Uh, sorry. I’ll go fetch them.” Esa shot up from her seat and ran into another room, leaving Alden sitting alone for a few moments. Shortly, she came back, with two gloves covering both of her arms. Each reached almost to her elbow, made of black leather. The fingers of the gloves were made of a lighter black cloth, and a leather strip ran on both the top and bottom of them. Two rows of metal studs went down the strip.

“So, could you just show me some of your magic? Earth you might not be able to show—actually…” Alden stood up and walked over to a nearby window, where an rectangular pot sat, full of dark, fertile soil and small sprouts.

Esa nodded and held her hands close to each other. Around her palm, a small flicker of fire appeared, and the ruby on her necklace seemed to glow as well. Suspiciously, Alden continued to watch. As the flame grew, so did the glow of the ruby, oddly enough. Finally, Esa held a fireball about the size of her fist in her left hand.

“That’s great, thank you.” After Alden approved it, the fireball dissipated and Esa walked over to the pot of soil.

She waved her hand over the small sprouts in the soil and they grew in a matter of seconds, opening into beautiful, red roses. Alden smiled as he saw the gorgeous flowers bloom. “Excellent performance. I can say without a doubt, Esa Fallore, that you’re accepted into Olaenis Academy of Mutatis.”

Esa grinned as she shook hands with Alden. “Uh, thank you, Mr. Mande.”

After he had shaken hands with Esa, Alden checked the items he held in his hands, gave a polite bow, and left the Fallore’s house. Esa watched him go, and then dashed into her room. There was a short silence after this had occurred. Annora set her groceries down on the ground and gave her husband a glare.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were going to enroll Esa and Bao into Olaenis? I’m not going to come home and have unexpected visitors, Tabor!”

Tabor drew in a breath through his teeth. He opened his mouth to reply.

Angry voices echoed throughout the Fallore house. Bao sat in his room, absorbed in a book, and Esa sat on her bed, trying to ignore the sounds of her parents’ voices.

Thank Mutata Bao and I are going to Olaenis, Esa thought to herself, struggling to shut out her parents. It’s about time we get a break from all of this.

Though Esa may have gotten a break from her parents arguing, the possibility of divorce hanging over them, she certainly did not get a break in the way she expected.

Last edited by Lady USUK on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 pm

I APPROVE

Site Owner

Currently playing : Halo 3
Location : Telling people to watch Eureka Seven. Watch Eureka Seven.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 pm

tanku

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:18 am

Here's a picture of Esa. Any and all drawings I'll do for To Force Change (and probably from here on out) will be black and white, simply because it's just... urgh trying to color.

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wataru Kurenai on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:46 pm

This is Rai 

Last edited by XxNightFangxX on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:26 am; edited 3 times in total
Wataru Kurenai
Rank 5 Poster
Rank 5 Poster

Currently playing : Fire emblem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Chapter 2

“Rai?”

It had been a while since Esa had seen her childhood friend. He had jet black hair and electric blue eyes, and was never seen without his blue jacket with an electric blue star on it. At the moment, he was wearing simple blue cloth pants and white and gold shoes.

Rai was a noble, much like Esa was. His father and mother were, technically, not of equal footing, but his father’s name was inherited in any case. Both had the major Mutata variant of light, with hair like spun gold. Rai had two older siblings who Esa had never seen, but they seemed to have a large effect on his life.

Rai turned around suddenly, looking at Esa surprised. “Esa?”

Esa smiled. “Hey Rai. Long time no see, huh?”

“Yeah… If you don’t mind, why is it?”

“Well…” Esa’s smile faded. “…my mother and father have been…”

For a few moments, there was silence. “Oh. Well, why are you here now?”

“Rai, I literally just stepped out of my house. But I’m going to be leaving to some boarding school pretty soon, and my mother and I are going to buy some supplies… all that stuff.”

Rai’s eyes widened. “Really? I’m going to go to a boarding school this year too. Uh, Olaenis—”

“Olaenis? That’s where I’m going!”

Both stared at each other, trying to detect whether they were lying.

Rai spoke first. “Wow.”

“Yeah,” Esa replied. “I…”

“Esa!” Annora suddenly appeared from her house’s door. “Oh, hello, Rai. Esa, let’s go.”

Esa shrugged, waved goodbye, and walked after her mother to the nearby market. Rai waved after her, smiling a little bit. Wasn’t it a nice coincidence?

*~*~*~*

“Do you have your clothes packed?”

“Yes.” Esa looked through her clothes. “I’ve got some standard sets of the same outfit, some formal things…”

“Did you remember your gloves? Necklace?”

“Mom, I’m always wearing the necklace. The gloves are packed, and I’ve got an extra pair just in case.”

“They’re the ones I made for you, right?”

“Yes, Mom.” Esa rolled her eyes and shut her suitcase. “I’ve got some coins too, by the way. Is Philo ready?”

“Yes, Philogea and Nonios are ready. By the way, you and Bao will be traveling with Rai, since he’s going to Olaenis too. I think there might be someone else going with you… I’m not sure.”

“Okay.” Esa flipped her suitcase upright and grabbed it. “Not too heavy… that’s good. Coming!”

Esa easily ran through her door and onto the street, where her mother had prepared the horses. Bao stumbled after her. Someone was already seated on one; she didn’t recognize the horse or the rider. Rai stood next to his horse, smiling and patting him. This horse Esa recognized; his name was Hengist, and he was one of the gentlest horses she had ever met.

Surprisingly, Alden Mande was standing there also. “Mr. Mande?” Esa asked, surprise in her voice. Alden smiled warmly.

“I’ll be your guide to Olaenis. It’s not so far—two days at most, maybe sooner if we’re lucky.”

Esa paused. “Who’s he?” She pointed towards the stranger already seated on the horse.

“Another student at Olaenis. Tyo Benz.”

“Huh. I think I might’ve heard that name before…”

“Hmm. Well... It’s very likely you won’t get in the same group at Olaenis, so it’s no matter.”

Esa nodded and managed to seat herself on Philogea, though Bao had to help her up. Bao got on to Nonios with much less trouble, and Rai followed suit with a very small amount of difficulty.

“Hand me your suitcases,” Alden said, collecting their luggage and loading it onto two pack mules on the back, making sure to distribute the weight as evenly as possible. With the horses and mules tied together and Alden leading, they started with a slower trot and gradually sped up. Since little guidance from the riders themselves was required, they were perfectly able to converse among themselves.

“Hey!” Esa decided to turn her attention to the boy she didn’t know first—Tyo. He was tall and thin, with cold, icy blue eyes and jet black hair. At first glance, he seemed to have the posture of a noble; but at the same time, the hint of a lower class. Perhaps high-middle class?

His clothes were possibly high-middle class or nobility. A long black overcoat shrouded most of his body, with a blue flame design along its hem. Otherwise, he wore black pants and black leather shoes, the only clothing item exempt from any of that color being his simple blue shirt.

In any case, he didn’t answer at first to Esa’s yell. His eyes flickered towards her for a moment, but he seemed rather stiffly facing forward.

“Uh… Tyo?”

At this, Tyo finally turned. He seemed surprised and a little annoyed. “Yes? How do you know my name?”

“Uh…” Esa considered telling him Alden had told her and decided she might as well. “Mr. Mande told me.”

“Oh, our guide?”

“Didn’t he test you earlier?”

“No, someone else did. I can’t remember their name.” Tyo turned away from Esa and continued looking straight ahead. “Anyway, what’s your name?”

“Esa. Esa Fallore.”

“Mm. Alright.” Tyo turned back to Esa. “Do you know anyone else here?”

Esa nodded and pointed as she spoke. “Bao is my you—my brother, and Rai is a friend of mine.”

Tyo nodded, but before he could speak, Esa said something else.

“I know I’ve heard your name before. Do you have any idea where I might have heard it?”

At this, Tyo seemed to freeze up for a moment, and Esa was sure he only barely kept from visibly wincing. “Uh, no,” he replied, clearly lying through his teeth.

“Mmkay. Why are you going to Olaenis anyway?”

A pause. “My family decided that I should. I mean, I don’t really know whether I’m any good at mutatis, honestly, and Olaenis is supposed to be a really good school. They can afford it easily, anyway.”

“Reminds me—what class are you?”

“What?”

“Uh, you know, are you a noble? Middle class? I’ve been trying to guess, but I just can’t…”

“Um, my family’s nobility…”

“Ah! Thank you.” Esa smiled and turned away from Tyo to chat with Bao and Rai instead. He stared at her for a few moments before turning back to the street in front of him.

I’m not going to even stay at Olaenis that long. Just until I’ve gotten the hang of mutatis…

He looked down at his hands, remembering some of his… worse experiences with mutatis.

…shouldn’t be too long.

Last edited by Lady USUK on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wataru Kurenai on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:47 pm

I APPROVE TENFOLD
Wataru Kurenai
Rank 5 Poster
Rank 5 Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Spoiler:
I approve even more of Tyo AAAAAAAAAHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssss

Site Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:03 am

I was so nervous he'd be out of character ;_; thank you for restoring faith in myself

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wataru Kurenai on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:28 am

Rai is so cool elder plus he's a prince
Wataru Kurenai
Rank 5 Poster
Rank 5 Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Chapter 3

Two days came and two days passed. The trip flew by, though at some points it was filled with monotony and silence. Esa, Bao, and Rai talked through most of the trip, while none exactly welcomed Tyo into a conversation. He didn’t seem to mind. Upon their arrival at the metal gates of Olaenis Academy of Mutatis, the group encountered two other ones and a small amount of teachers.

Alan easily dismounted his horse, while another teacher presumably led it to the stables. “Okay. You all are going to be tested one more time.” A groan swept through everyone seated on horses. “Hey—hey. It’ll be quick. When we get in, you’ll be handed a slip telling you what time you’ll get tested and what dormitory you’re going to be in. The slips have a map on the back of the school. The dormitories will most likely change after you get tested, so don’t get too attached. Alright. Let’s head in.”

The sound of metal locks opening heralded their entry into Olaenis. Horses gently walked in, hooves clicking against cobblestone with a staggered rhythm. Everyone was silent; the atmosphere had sharply changed from lax to stiff and ancient.

This silence continued as they dismounted and teachers led their horses to the stables. It kept as they walked along the cobblestone path, as they arrived at the massive, dark oaken doors of the Academy. The silence held until…

“Welcome to Olaenis Academy of Mutatis.”

Everyone took a breath as they entered the room. Being a government-sponsored, prestigious boarding school, it would be expected that Olaenis was large, magnanimous, and fancy. However, it seemed to go beyond the boundary of the possible amount of decoration and adornment that could be put in a single room.

Oaken pillars edged the walls of the room, with a smooth and shining surface. Grand tapestries and beautiful paintings covered much of the wall, which had a royal blue paisley pattern wallpaper. Trophies and miscellaneous golden decorations filled up the space where the tapestries and painting were not.

The floor consisted of a checkerboard pattern of tiles, with black stone and white marble. It was perhaps the only part of the room—possibly the whole academy—that had no additional decorations. As Esa’s gaze moved upward from the floor to the items in the room, she noticed that there were practically no items in the room. A small podium stood at one end, presumably for speakers, but other than that, there was… nothing.

Surprised by this lack of furniture, Esa looked around for her brother and Rai. She found Bao in a matter of seconds. Bao waved, noticing her, and walked over.

“I guess all the students are coming in small groups. I mean, we’re more than three and a half weeks early for school to actually start,” Esa noted.

Bao shrugged. “Makes sense, doesn’t it? I mean, Olaenis has to get a lot of students…”

“No, actually, it’s very choosy. It only takes about… maybe six hundred. Less prestigious schools take way more. Into the thousands, even.” Esa smiled as Bao’s eyes widened. “It means the people who do get in are even better at mutatis…”

“Esa, someone’s stepped up to the podium.” Bao and Esa both turned to the podium.

A man stood at the podium, maybe thirty years old. He had both dark blue hair and dark blue eyes, a surprising trait. The clothes he wore were professional and business like, consisting of a blue and silver pinstriped tie, a white dress shirt, and a black tuxedo, trousers, and dress shoes.

The man coughed. Someone standing next to him with pale blue eyes was clearly concentrating, presumably amplifying the man’s voice.

Everyone in the room ceased chattering and turned to face the man. He paused for a moment, staring out at everyone.

“Welcome, students, to Olaenis Academy of Mutatis! I am the headmaster of Olaenis, Coyle Dane. You are the first group that has arrived yet. Two more should arrive this afternoon, and then this evening. Since the groups are small, we will be able to call off a roll call and hand you your slip with dormitory and test time.”

Coyle coughed and lifted up a list of names. “Dylan Alan!” he began, and slowly continued along the list. Students came up, received their slips, and walked off. It didn’t take that long for the names Tyo Benz and Rai Brainstein to come up, though Bao and Esa were close to the end. Very few were left when they finally received their slips.

“Uh, I’ve got Dormitory 15, apparently…” Esa looked up at Bao expectantly, but he shook his head.

“Dormitory 12. Sorry, Esa.”

Esa shrugged and sighed, giving Bao a pat on the head before she went down one hallway. Bao stared after her, but turned and walked along his own route. If we’re lucky, we’ll end up in the same dorm after testing.

*~*~*~*

“Hey.” Esa stepped into her dormitory and was greeted by someone leaning against the wall, clearly paying more attention to the roaring fire in the fireplace to his right than her.

“Tyo?” she immediately replied, recognizing him.

Tyo looked away from the fire and blinked as he noticed Esa was there. “Uh… …Esa, right?”

“Yeah. So… same dormitory.”

After that, their conversation trailed off, leaving them both silent. Tyo turned back to the fire, while Esa looked around the room. There were numerous chairs around the fireplace, then a circle of stairs leading up to a large room filled with bunk beds… enough for thirty people, she was fairly certain. As of yet, she only saw two people, not including Tyo and her. Both seemed fairly unapproachable, but one was… odd. His hair was jet black and his eyes a golden yellow; Esa had never heard of someone’s major Mutata variant being darkness and his minor light. Two opposite Mutata variants in one person were rare, though not as rare as people with only one.

Esa strode over to him and sat down at the nearest chair. “Hey.”

He hardly even moved. A little annoyed, Esa spoke again. “Hey…”

At this, he finally looked up. “What?” he asked, fairly calmly. One of his hands went for the hood of his black jacket. The clothes he wore suggested middle-class, perhaps the lower end of the spectrum. His pants were black, as were his shoes. Both appeared to have less than spectacular quality.

“I just noticed… are your Mutata variants dark and—”

He frowned. “…yes, so?”

“It’s pretty rare, isn’t it? Most people who have opposite Mutata variants have a lot of power, too, so that’s cool.” Esa smiled. “I was wondering… what’s your name?”

“…my name’s Qan.”

Esa’s smile widened. “Qan. Nice name. Uh… if you don’t mind, what class are you?”

“Middle-class. Why?”

“No reason. I’d just like to know.” Esa shrugged. “Nice meeting you, Qan.”

He stared at her for a moment. “…Okay.”

After he spoke, Esa walked into the room with the beds and found suitcases piled in a corner. She searched for a short time, and found her own.

“Nice. Wonder how Bao’s doing?”

*~*~*~*

“Hey, Rai!” Bao smiled as he spotted his sister’s friend. Rai smiled back.

“Hey, Bao. We ended up in the same dorm. That’s cool, huh?”

A girl with jet black hair and dark red eyes looked up at them oddly, though she soon went back to sorting through her belongings. Bao noticed her and paused.

“Do you know who she is?”

“Huh? Who?”

Bao pointed towards the girl. “Her.”

Rai shrugged. “Nah. Why?”

“She just looked at us oddly…” Bao left his sentence trailing off and walked over to the girl. “Hey.”

She looked up at him. “Yeah?”

“…who are you?”

“What’s it to you?”

Bao didn’t react to the rude response. “I was just wondering.”

“Mayaza.”

“Mayaza? Pretty name.” At the compliment, Mayaza only scowled.

“Shut up.”

“Well, that’s rude.” Bao sat down and looked at her. “…so. Dark and fire, huh?”

“Yeah. So?”

“Nothing. What class are you?”

“Middle.”

“Ah.” Bao paused. Though he wasn’t able to judge by clothes as well as his sister, he was fairly good. The clothes Mayaza wore were clearly designer, probably too tight for her and… ahem… attention demanding. Her shirt was a bright red, with glitter around the collar and swirls of sequins over it. She also wore leather boots and a black miniskirt.

“Well. Nice meeting you, Mayaza.” Bao smiled warmly and turned away from her to walk back to Rai. She stared at him, a slight anger in her gaze, before turning back to her belongings and looking through them.

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wataru Kurenai on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Splendid
Wataru Kurenai
Rank 5 Poster
Rank 5 Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Führer Egg Roll on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:02 pm

Beautiful.

Chiller, thriller, vampire killer

Currently playing : LiFe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks! I'm always really nervous about writing people in character. ^_^'

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Führer Egg Roll on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:13 pm

I like how you introduced Qan.

Currently playing : LiFe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Can I scream "YES" a few more times?

Site Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:23 pm

you are allowed to say yes :3

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:25 pm

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

THIS IS AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGgggggggggggg

Site Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:33 pm

I feel so happy. ^_^

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:06 am

Oh....My....Gawd! This is wonderful....I hope this does not die...

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:07 am

It won't. I know how the next chapter will go, at the very least, and an idea of the plot after that.

Strangely, the stories whose plots I make the clearest always die the fastest... so I'm going to mess around with To Force Change.

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:59 am

I love how itchy you made May.^^

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:35 am

I stayed up late to write this chapter. Be glad.

Chapter 4

“Whoa!” Esa had just about finished unpacking what she would need for one night when she heard someone shouting, clearly surprised.

“Uh, what is it?” Esa felt a small warmth next to her on the bed she’d chosen and looked down at her slip, which had turned yellow to warn her she would be up for testing soon. Picking it up, she walked out of the bedroom and realized that Tyo was looking at his slip as if it had just grown fangs and tried to bite him.

Taking a closer look revealed the slip had turned red. “Oh. Did it warm up?”

Looking at her with surprise in his eyes, Tyo nodded. “Uh, yeah. It shocked me, since the shift was pretty sudden and… pretty significant.” He took a breath and calmed down.

“That’s because you’re going to get tested soon. It turns yellow when you’re going to be tested in twenty minutes, orange when you’re going to be tested in fifteen, and red when you’re going to get tested now…” Her eyes widened. “You’re supposed to get tested now!”

Tyo blinked and replied with a bit of an accusatory tone. “How do you know that?”

“I read the back of my slip. That, and Qan left to get tested earlier. I’m fairly certain he did pretty good, I could feel the shifting Mutata around him when he came back. Good sign.”

“Okay.” Tyo looked at his slip and then back at Esa. “I’ll just leave now.” He turned around and began to walk off, Esa staring at him.

“Actually, I’ll join you. I had a little spare time earlier and visited my brother maybe half an hour ago when he was leaving to be tested. I think he should be coming out now.” Tyo turned momentarily and nodded, while Esa gripped her slip tighter and followed after him.

The room in which they were going to be tested was across the hallway from a large container. The container had three walls and a roof made of a dark, thick metal. The wall facing them, however, was made of a thick glass. Inside the container was…

“That’s a pure Mutata Magistrae,” said Tyo, a little afraid of the powerful being separated from them only by glass. “That’s a…”

“Yeah…” Esa was awestruck by it as well. “Uh, you should get to your testing.” Tyo nodded and stepped through the doors of the room on the other side of the hallway. Esa looked around, spotted three chairs in a corner of the hallway, and sat on one.

After a few moments, Bao emerged from the doors Tyo had just entered. He spotted his sister and smiled, waving. “Hey,” he said finally as he reached her. Esa smiled back.

“Hey, Bao. How’d the testing go?”

“I think it went pretty well. So, you getting tested soon?”

“Yeah.” Esa showed him her yellow slip, waving it up and down. “I can’t believe there’s a pure Mutata Magistrae just… what… fifteen feet away from us?”

Bao laughed. “Pretty incredible, huh? There are only four pure Mutata Magistrae known in the world.” He looked at the being inside the container oddly. “Huh. When I looked at it earlier, it was nowhere near that active.”

Esa followed his gaze and noticed the Magistrae was moving around quite a lot, in fact. “Wonder why… maybe it’s because Tyo’s testing right now.”

“Tyo was… that guy who travelled with us on the way here, right?”

“Yep. Wonder how he’s doing?...”

Inside the room, Tyo nervously smiled. In front of him, five teachers sat. One of these was Alden Mande, and one was the headmaster, Coyle Dane. He coughed, and Dane spoke.

“You must be Tyo Benz, am I correct?”

Tyo nodded.

“Now, we’d just like a basic overview of your magic. Darkness and ice?”

Once again, Tyo nodded.

“Alright, Mr. Benz.” Dane smiled warmly. “Show us what you’ve got.”

Tyo took in a nervous breath. He looked at his hands, closed his eyes, focused. He felt the mutatis around him, bristling, waiting to be manipulated. Cause darkness. Cause cold. Stay in control.

Stay…

in control…

Tyo felt the power through his fingertips, bristling around his hands. Without opening his eyes, he could sense cold and darkness. Without even moving, he could sense…

I’m losing control.

Tyo’s eyes snapped open. Ice bristled around him, wavering and clearly unstable. Darkness hung around the room like a fog. The doors were open. Why were the doors open? Ice scattered from where he was standing to the container in which the pure Mutata Magistrae was caught.

The ice wavered. The darkness hissed. Tyo felt the lingering control he had slip, and he certainly felt the disastrous consequences.

Mutata, uncontrolled, converts back to its pure form. Pure Mutata near a pure Mutata Magistrae…

Esa and Bao were, obviously, surprised and worried when ice sprouted from the doorway, swinging the doors right open, and darkness began to descend along the hallway. As the Mutata variants wavered and converted, they heard glass shattering.

Suddenly, the air around them twisted. It became harder to breathe for a few moments, and the next one did not bring anything close to relief. The Magistrae broke though, its form manipulating the very air around it, and it automatically turned to Esa and Bao.

Esa’s eyes widened and she immediately moved to shield Bao. However, the Magistrae suddenly turned to the room in front of it and began to move into it. Esa and Bao let out a breath they didn’t know they had been holding in and nervously moved forwards.

“Get out, get out, get out!” Coyle Dane was hardly panicking; in fact, he seemed completely calm in the face of what could be a disaster. Tyo was panicking, however. Alden grabbed him and tried to run with him out of the door, but failed as he found himself face-to-face with a pure Mutata Magistrae. Calling out a curse, Alden pushed Tyo behind him. Fire suddenly sprouted in front of him, and he stepped back, moving Tyo into a safer area in the corner of the room. The fire quickly spread to completely block the doorway.

Cursing again, Alden held out his hand, which was shaking, only for a blast of air to shove him across the room. Coyle Dane stood up and, suddenly, water formed a protective bubble around the Magistrae. The water froze and shattered into particles of ice.

Tyo reached down and grabbed one of the shards, holding it in his hand. Trying his hardest, he concentrated, and caused the remaining shards to sprout up, trapping the Magistrae momentarily. Momentarily.

The shards shattered, some scratching Tyo’s arms and one grazing his cheek. He sat down in the corner, gently touching his cheek.

Obviously by now, Esa and Bao were on high alert, and teachers were streaming in through the hallways. Noticing the new people, the Magistrae exited the room in the blink of an eye and pushed them all away with a massive blast of air. Esa and Bao managed to stand their ground, supporting themselves against the nearby wall, and walked forward.

The Magistrae turned to them, and now was clearly aggressive. The shards of glass scattered all over the floor suddenly rose into the air, and before Esa could shield Bao, but after she could shield her own face, they launched towards them. Unfortunately, it was not the same for Bao.

“Aah—” Bao suddenly crumpled, breathing through his teeth and in clear pain. Glass shards had grazed his arms, some even embedding themselves, and scratched along his forehead and cheek. It took a few moments for Esa to realize that her necklace was broken as well, now nothing but a small speck of red gem on the end of a loop of white silk ribbon. Some shards of the gem were, in fact, scattered over Bao.

Esa’s eyes widened as she recognized the damage done to her brother. “Stay low, try to heal yourself up, I’ll try to help, okay?” Without waiting for an answer, she dashed off, leaving Bao to do as she said.

Alden emerged from the doorway, following the opportunity he’d spotted to escape from the room. Tyo followed after him. Alden’s eyes widened as he saw Esa. “Esa?” he began, but never finished.

Esa was running towards the pure Mutata Magistrae, staring at it with anger in her eyes. In a strange way, the Magistrae seemed to be staring at her too.

Fire danced over Esa’s arms, but not only fire—light seemed to glint off of the metal studs of her gloves, and darkness hung as a fog over it. Spikes of ice sparkled in the glow of the light, but the beautiful spectacle could not be beheld for long.

Letting out a scream of anger and rage, everything that surrounded Esa leapt off of her and attacked the Magistrae. Impossibly, inconceivably, the Magistrae itself dissipated into nothingness in a matter of seconds. Esa stood, breathing heavily and clearly exhausted from the magical effort, where it had been and where a mass of white energy currently hung.

She blinked, and her head began to nod. Bao rushed forward, ignoring his own wounds, and supported her. Light shimmered and she felt a rush of energy, then smiled at her half-brother. However, he did not give her the same reaction back.

Able to firmly stand, but still weary from the immense effort it took to manipulate Mutata in such a way, Esa frowned. “What… what is it?...”

“Esa…” Bao stepped away from her and reached out a hand to touch her hair. Her frown deepened.

“My hair?...”

The white energy hovering above the ground suddenly rose up, pushing Esa back. She let out an involuntary shriek as her gloves peeled away and as her back collided with part of the chairs. Gritting her teeth, Esa struggled to stand again and cursed under her breath as she did. Looking down at her hands, she found that her hands were no longer covered by leather gloves. Good thing I packed a spare pair, she thought to herself.

“A pure Mutata Magistrae has never been killed before. No Magistrae ever recorded has ever been harmed before.” Alden’s voice held a tone of awe, but also a tone of suspicion. “Just what the he—”

“She just saved you, and you’re going to—ugh!” Bao glared at Alden, and he suddenly shut up. Esa looked at her brother oddly.

“Why did you look at me so weirdly?” She frowned again, holding one of her hands to her back and wincing. Hitting that chair was not very fun. Esa lowered her head and froze up.

What the—what? She reached out a hand to touch her hair, rubbing it between her fingers. Using her hand, she traced the strands back to their source.

When had she gotten white hair?

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wataru Kurenai on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:06 pm

Chapter 4 must be the best ever 
Wataru Kurenai
Rank 5 Poster
Rank 5 Poster