To Force Change

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: To Force Change

Post by no mom its ironic on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Kinda short, and mostly stuff happening after Chapter 4. Chapter 6 will have something special, though... >.> <.<

I'll hopefully give Mayaza and Qan more screentime then too. Sorry, Bloons and Travis.

Chapter 5

After the rampage of the Magistrae had been stopped, the damage was assessed. Luckily, there were no casualties, but injuries were quite commonplace. Since Olaenis had no shortage of people with healing ability, just about everyone was sorted out quickly. In fact, only one person was left with any lingering damage after the whole thing—Esa Fallore.

To be fair, the ‘injury’ was only a rather large bruise with a purplish color in the middle of her back. Then again, the doctors were actually quite nervous about its severity, considering it had resulted from being thrown ten feet into the edge of a chair. But with their magic exhausted and no signs of possibly life-threatening damage, they let her go.

Unsurprisingly, it wasn’t the bruise that was causing Esa to curse and kick the marble pillars surrounding the large, open courtyard of Olaenis Academy. The times for testing had been postponed and jumbled, and her time was actually four days away. Even with all this time, she had hit a snag that was possibly devastating.

Specifically, she found herself having difficulty manipulating Mutata. Earth was manageable; otherwise? No such luck.

“That’s it,” Esa said to no one. “I’m just going to go back to the dorm. I give up.”

“Really?”

Esa’s eyes widened and she looked around her, only to spot Alden in the hallway next to the courtyard. “Mr. Mande?”

Alden smiled. “So, you’re giving up? On what, may I ask?”

“What do you think?” Esa immediately shot back, then sighed. “I can’t manipulate anything that’s not Earth for my life.”

“Hmm. Well, that’s a problem now, isn’t it? I see you got a new pair of gloves, by the way.”

“No, really. You know that I’m getting tested in four days.”

“Four days is plenty of time.”

“I can’t learn mutatis all over again in four days!” Esa gave Alden a murderous look. “You know I can’t! Everyone knows that the people with white hair and pale eyes—”

“Can’t manipulate Mutata?” Alden gave her a skeptical look. “How odd, because I could’ve sworn that you were noted as a very good student at your previous school.”

“That was different! I had—I had—”

“Red hair? Green eyes? Those colors were a mask, Esa. They weren’t what you really are.” Alden paused. “Ah—by the way, you might want to look at your hands.”

She stared at Alden for a few moments, looking as if she wanted to kill him. Finally, she relented and looked downwards. Flames covered her gloves, though they weakly disappeared as soon as she got a good look at them.

“See?”

“Those don’t change anything! They’re just…” Esa trailed off.

“Hmm, I wonder how that could have happened? Sudden, spontaneous combustion around your arms, which would be a coincidence verging on miraculous, or manipulating Mutata?”

“Shut up! You must have done it!” But Esa’s voice was weak, and she didn’t even believe herself.

“How? Would you mind explaining?” Alden smiled. “Brown hair, dark blue eyes… neither of those features point towards my manipulating fire.”

Esa knew she was beaten. “Well, I…”

“You are completely able to manipulate types of Mutata that aren’t Earth. Your skill over Earth is formidable in the first place, might I add. But I wonder… are you just restricted to Fire otherwise?”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Well, considering when you took on that Magistrae, I saw four elements—Fire, Ice, Darkness, and Light… who knows?” Alden grinned. “Anyway, we’d best get you acquainted with manipulating Mutata again, huh?”

Without allowing Esa time to react, Alden had formed a small ball of water in his hand. “Seeing as I’m restricted to Earth and Water, and you’ve already got the hang of Earth… let’s try this, shall we?”

Esa frowned at him, but Alden smiled and urged her on. After a moment of reluctance, she finally decided to try.

It didn’t work for the first few seconds, though the air above her outstretched palm wavered and a small droplet seemed to form. Esa sighed and let her hand fall, giving Alden a pointed look.

“No, no, try again,” he told her, giving her a little nudge. Esa gave Alden another pointed look, sighed, and tried again.

This time, a small ball of water perhaps two inches across appeared in her hand. Esa seemed unimpressed, and the water soon splashed down and fell upon the dirt below.

“Better. See? You just have to keep practicing, and you’ll get the hang of mutatis again in no time.” Alden smiled and patted Esa’s shoulder.  “Now, I’ve got to go and meet with the headmaster for something. Keep on practicing.”

Esa stood and watched as Alden walked away, her mouth slightly agape. She looked down at her hands and shrugged. Might as well try again.

So, concentrating, Esa set to her task. And who would’ve thought? She did very well.

prettiest boyo

Currently playing : pokemon in my heart

View user profile http://ezlybored.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wataru Kurenai on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:43 pm

That chapter is surely splendid
now i see why we can't have pale hair.
Wataru Kurenai
Rank 5 Poster
Rank 5 Poster

Currently playing : Fire emblem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:14 am

Chapter 6

Qan was woken by someone yelling in the bathroom.

He woke up rather begrudgingly, rubbing his eyes and making as much of a fuss as he could without waking up someone else, his thin spring blanket still wrapped around him. As the yelling and muffled cursing seemed to continue, he finally discarded the blanket, grabbed his jacket, and hastily put it on.

Walking barefoot to the bathroom and still yawning rather sleepily, he found Esa glaring at (and yelling at) a basin of water. Through the window in the bathroom he could see the river which apparently provided all of their water and was regulated through complex mutatis. It was still freezing cold in the mornings, anyway.

"Uh… Eh… Esa, what're you…" he didn't bother to finish his sentence as he realized that the sun was just barely visible on the horizon. "Why're you even awake right now…?"

"I thought I'd get up early so I could practice, but apparently nooo, it doesn't choose to work right now." Esa rolled her eyes and paused. "Did I wake you up? Sorry, sorry, I—"

"No, wha… practice what?" Qan rubbed his eyes blearily, too sleepy to care about the fact he didn't know Esa well.

"None of your business," Esa snapped back. Qan shrugged and turned around to go back to sleep.

"And could you stop yelling? If you get any louder, you'll wake everyone else up." He yawned one last time and began shuffling back to his bed.

Why wasn't it working? It'd worked yesterday! But now, now, the water just sort of sat there. She could've sworn it maybe, it sort of, it almost moved that little inch—but that was stupid, no one would be impressed by that.

Esa sat down on the cold, tiled ground and poked at it a bit. It responded to her manipulation well. So Earth still worked. Water didn't.

Huh. Why? After Alden had used it, she'd used it just fine. Maybe he could help her with this. Esa looked outside at the sky. It was still dark, the sun barely visible. She sighed and decided she might as well just ask him later; even a teacher wouldn't be awake this early.

"Wait, Qan!" Esa suddenly winced as she realized how loud her voice was. Qan turned around and looked at her, mildly annoyed and sleepy.

"What?"

"Um, could you… manipulate dark Mutata? Just so I can try something. Please?"

Qan shrugged and sighed. "Sure…" He held out a hand and darkened the area around it, not really seeing the point but not really minding anyway. "Can I go back to sleep now?..."

"Uh, wait…" Esa looked at her gloved hand and focused, imagining darkness around her own hand. For a few moments, nothing happened, but a slight darkness soon descended. "Yes!" she exclaimed triumphantly. "Could you try, uh, light magic now?"

"Wait… what? How'd you do that?" Qan looked at her skeptically.

"I uh, I dunno." She smiled sheepishly. "It does, though, which is pretty cool. Could you try light magic?"

He was too interested to say no, forming a glowing ball of light in one hand. Esa managed to follow his example with a little bit of effort.

"Seriously. How does that work?"

"Maybe Mr. Mande would be able to help." Qan looked at her blankly. "He, uh, he's a teacher here, and he manipulated some water and then I was able to. I think he might know something about it."

"…Okay. Anything else you want?"

"No, no, you'd better get your sleep." Esa laughed and smiled. "Thank you for helping, though."

"Whatever." Qan waved a hand and walked back to his bed. Esa grinned and jumped a little.

So apparently, she only seemed to be able to manipulate an element after someone else did. Weird. The only exception was Earth, which didn't make much sense. What was different about it?

And why couldn't she manipulate Water now, even though she'd been able to when Alden did? Was there some weird time limit or something? How did it even work?

Esa sighed. She'd get answers eventually… she thought. For now, though, she should be more concerned with practicing in the little time she had.

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:14 am

SO I HEARD THIS STORY WAS DEAD

WELL IT MIGHT BE BUT I UPDATED IT ANYWAY SO TAKE THAT

working on MM now

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Führer Egg Roll on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:20 am

I must say.

This turned out quite well while I was gone.

Great job Elder!

Spoiler:
Given it kinda died while I was gone.

Chiller, thriller, vampire killer
Chiller, thriller, vampire killer

Currently playing : LiFe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Avelian on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:37 am

Do this guuuuurl!

Rank 2 poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:02 am

I PROMISE I WILL START WORKING ON IT MODERN MAGIC IS ALMOST ENTIRELY DONE I'M SORRY WHEN IT IS TOTALLY DONE I'LL WORK ON THIS AND THE CORRUPT

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Avelian on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:04 am

Whoa there kid.. didn't mean to make ya yell... sorry ^_^

Rank 2 poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content