Reader of good books

Currently playing : the role of Neil Gaiman stan

View user profile http://spaghettisaurus-rex.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

One Thousand and One AUs - Page 14 Empty Re: One Thousand and One AUs

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:42 am

Chapter Thirteen

My head hurt.

I already told you that, but I want to emphasize that point to make you understand exactly how much my head hurt. Initially it had just been a slightly annoying pain, then it had turned into the sort of pain after you’ve just stubbed a toe. With every step I took downwards, it steadily increased.

I swore. Loudly.

Max looked back up at me. “You okay?”

I grimaced. “I’ll still have to go down, won’t I?”

She didn’t answer, just turned back around and kept walking. I stopped there on the step for a moment. They couldn’t make me go down, could they? Well actually, I thought to myself wryly, they’re gods. They could probably make me do anything if they had a mind to.

But I could resist, perhaps? For how long? Eris had said I was a weapon but weapons aren’t particularly known for wielding themselves. I didn’t know half of what was happening at any point in time or have the ability to control any of the things I’d learned I had the ability to do. Algebra confused me.

In my mind, I went over what I’d done. When Elder had scared me, I’d unintentionally made the fire enlarge. But it hadn’t been on purpose, it was just instinct. Like a cat puffing up bigger to look more threatening.

The second ability was the sight thing, but that wouldn’t help.

For that matter, what was the thing with Max and Elder’s theory? They’d called together a meeting and immediately regretted it afterwards. It hardly seemed a ‘theory,’ more a ‘quickly cobbled together idea which is mostly just conjecture.’

“Arthur.” Max’s resigned voice brought me back to reality. I blinked and looked down at the stairs below. Only thirteen steps were between me and… the complete unknown. Hesitantly, my hand firmly gripped on the railing, I began descending again. The moment my foot hit the step below me, I felt the pain returning with a vengeance.

After taking a breath, I grit my teeth and steeled myself. The next few steps were agony. I looked at Max, trying to get her to show some pity. She just had to shrug and smile. She seemed more worthy of pity at that moment than I did.

“Max, my head hurts like shit. If I walk into that room I’ll probably, I don’t know.” I shrugged.

“Pass out from pain?”

“Yeah, that.” I nodded and immediately regretted it. My vision flashed for a moment and Max was silvery white, then she was back to normal. Well—‘normal.’ “…do I have to go in?”

“They’ll make you.”

“They can’t make me.”

Max laughed. “Well, I suppose not really. But… don’t make them make you.”

“Nice sentence, Max. Alright. See you in hell.” I grinned. She didn’t.

“Don’t joke about that,” she said instead, walking forward briskly to open the door. I gulped, thoughts racing through my mind at a million miles a minute. Oh God. They could die. I could die.

“According to your… ‘theory,’ what will happen?” I asked nervously, shifting my weight from one foot to another. I wanted to delay my entering the room for as long as possible. (A/N: and I wanted to stretch this on for as many pages as possible)

“It’s not a very definite ‘theory,’” Max said with derision. “Hence why we made a decision then immediately did a 180 and said ‘Wait, no, we fucked up, stop.’” She sighed. “But of course, gods. Idiots.

“Anyway,” she continued. “…just. Don’t joke about ‘seeing me in hell.’”

“Oh,” I said, or maybe I just thought it. My voice was so soft I could barely hear myself.

Every step brought more pain until I could’ve sworn my head was going to burst. My vision flashed; everything turned bright white and the entrance, through which I could see nothing of the inside of the room, glowed. Waves of power rushed over me.

I had to stop and take a breath multiple times. Max purposefully looked away and swallowed, looking scared.

Not as scared as I am, I thought rudely.

Then I gathered myself and managed to step through the door.

The first thing I saw was Elder, who stood in front of me. Immediately she placed her hand firmly on my head and I felt the pain alleviate somewhat. I looked at her somewhat. She quirked a not-smile and turned around swiftly to face the room in front of us.

I blinked. I couldn’t see anything that was happening; it all blurred into an indistinct image. Elder’s voice rang clear in my ears, though. She was trying to hide nervousness, but her voice shook almost imperceptibly.

“Here you go,” she yelled to everyone. “I told you so in advance.” With that, she turned around swiftly and exited the room.

The sensation was… overpowering. Have you ever been on the beach and then you got the bright idea to walk into the waves? At first, in the shallow area, you could easily walk. The waves were gentle and you could barely feel them. It was great fun, you thought, because you were a child and foolish like that.

As you went deeper though, the waves began to get stronger and the water came higher. You began to struggle to walk forward. The water came up to your chest and it was all you could do to keep it from knocking you over. Finally you had to retreat and run back to the shore, to your parents, because otherwise the waves would sweep you away and you would never be seen again.

It was like that; like waves crashing against you, threatening to push you over and pull you with them, into the depths of the ocean. I’m not sure if I screamed or not or if I fell to my knees or if I cried—I only remember everything in the world seemed to be crashing at me, an immense wave of sheer power. I remember everything at once was around me; gold coins clinking against each other, the salty spray of the ocean, a chilling cold, the roll of thunder. Bones click-clack-clicked and the sun rose with the moon. Earth cracked and moaned, fire crackled and I felt its burning heat against my skin. Spring bloomed around me and winter’s cold took the flowers away just as quickly.

Now that I think about it, I am fairly certain I did scream. You would have too, don’t lie. Well, if there is a you.

Not sure if she’ll share this. I doubt she will. Probably she’ll just read it over and laugh and maybe if she’s feeling particularly cruel—

Nevermind. I shouldn’t think about that. Writing this is pleasant, somewhat. It was pleasant. Writing this… is terrible.

Voices echoed around me, but I couldn’t quite catch them. It was as if they were bouncing all around me, and yet never came close enough that my ears could hear. I can only guess at what they were saying, but they were probably confused at why I was closing my eyes tightly shut and appeared to be in terrible, terrible pain.

I remember I opened my eyes and then, yes, then I screamed. The world itself unfolded in front of me. The universe began and ended. I saw every tree sprout and every tree die; I knew how many waves had crashed against the shore since waves had crashed against the shore. I saw every man die and I saw where he went. It was terrible. Some would have said it was beautiful as well in some sort of ‘poetic way,’ but if I’m to be completely honest with you, it was terrible. It was terrible and horrific and I wanted to escape it.

After that my vision went black.

*~*~*~*

When I woke up, I was in my room again. On my bed, to be specific.

Immediately I sat up, terrified. Adrenaline was coursing through me. Everything around me was in various shades of dull, colorless gray.

Practically against my will, I looked to my left. I tried to resist turning my head, but I heard a snap and bam, my eyes were looking upon something I didn’t want to see. It was worse than earlier.

Her hair was so dark a black that it seemed a hole in space; her skin so white it almost radiated light. But her eyes were gold, gold all over—there was no pupil or iris, just gold.

Eris smiled. I opened my mouth to say something—rather, I thought to open my mouth to say something, but nothing happened. It was like it was glued shut.

I wanted to look away but I couldn’t look away. It was like I was just watching through eyes that weren’t my own. My hand reached out and I realized she was holding something in hers.

She held it up, spinning it delicately, admiring its shine in the light. I felt sick. After so long, she turned back to me with those eyes, those eyes that were pure gold. Somehow I knew they were looking at me, despite their lack of pupils.

Eris held out her hand, offering me the apple. I leaned forward and took it.

“Thank you, mother,” said my voice.

“Make me proud,” she said in reply.

I held the apple in my hand and looked at it. And then suddenly, my head was filled with knowledge. I knew everything. I knew my purpose and my power and I just knew. No question I had had was left unanswered; or at least, none that I cared about now. Because now I had one purpose.

Discord.

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Currently playing : pokemon in my heart

View user profile http://ezlybored.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:45 am

if you're wondering about my progress on the last chapter.............

its not good

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:59 am

ok guys do you think murder is more 'accent' or 'makes shit more exciting' or 'sudden difference'

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:03 am

or OR alternatively i could do 'fortepiano' because meanwhile peaceful things are happening

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:04 am

and it also wORKS because a lot of times you do a crescendo after a fortepiano

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:12 am

OH MY GOD I KNOW WHAT IM GOING TO NAME THIS ONE CHAPTER AND YOU'RE GOING TO BE REALLY CONFUSED and then and tHEN IT wont actually make sense because music terms

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:02 am

Algebra confused me.
Accurate. Very accurate.

Andrew
Site Owner
Site Owner

Currently playing : Halo 3
Location : Telling people to watch Eureka Seven. Watch Eureka Seven.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Death is... kinda hot on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:50 pm

I don't know what to reply to.

I'm a girl, by the way.
Death is... kinda hot
Death is... kinda hot
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:34 am

im writing plot notes and they are, obviously, very professional.

VERY PROFESSIONAL

One Thousand and One AUs - Page 14 CohqdZr

that is a thing i actually wrote in my plot notes

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:38 am

more professional notes

One Thousand and One AUs - Page 14 TSnpR7t

One Thousand and One AUs - Page 14 YuBGvmq

One Thousand and One AUs - Page 14 ZmsqzTS

One Thousand and One AUs - Page 14 0ZfDwPP

One Thousand and One AUs - Page 14 GdpumHW

One Thousand and One AUs - Page 14 YxvsyBP

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Death is... kinda hot on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:50 am

I love it already.

I'm a girl, by the way.
Death is... kinda hot
Death is... kinda hot
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:32 am

ok so???????/ i wrote more music metaphor

ignore the thing at the bottom of the post, haa hah  what thing at the bottom of the post

chapter three: fortepiano

He had only one question in the forefront of his mind. How the hell had this… person managed to find him?

The raven-haired vampire had woken when the sun was barely over the horizon in the less-than-comfortable inn he’d stayed in for the night. Once the innkeeper realized he intended to head out for the day to pass on to another town, the man hurriedly procured a letter. Aaron nodded his ‘thanks’ and took it, then went on his way.

Usually, jobs were rare and he got them when he heard rumors about someone needing someone to do their dirty work at a shady bar or something. This time, however, his potential employer had contacted him. For Aaron, that definitely did not bode well. Despite his common sense telling him there was something up with this he should avoid, his curiosity got the better of him.

Meet me at the Black Beetle. Be there by dusk. There was no guarantee that they were going to show up at dusk, Aaron noted, before pocketing the letter. Still, the letter was intriguing and he itched to learn more.

So, when he saw the sun descending in the sky, he found himself at the Black Beetle, leaning languidly against the doorframe, scanning the people around him. There were the usual alcoholics and a few people who appeared to be in a group and quite friendly, but otherwise the tavern was empty. The vampire sighed and glanced towards the door.

Sure enough, it creaked open, and a hooded head poked through. Immediately they turned to face Aaron and a chill crept down his spine. He could not see their face in the shadow cast by the hood and that… unnerved him. Of course, people tended to conceal their faces when they were about to arrange criminal activities, but something was different about whoever this was.

They held themselves straight, but even so, they were possibly five inches shorter than the vampire. He smirked. The stranger merely tugged their cloak tighter around them and gestured for him to take a seat at a nearby table.

Once he had, his presumed employer sat down too. “So.” The voice was definitely a female’s, with just a hint of an accent Aaron could not quite place. “I imagine you wonder exactly what I wanted you to meet me for?”

“Either you’re going to arrest me, or you want my services,” Aaron said with an impatient sort of tone. “If you’re going to arrest me, then, well... In your best interest to walk out of this place right now.”

The stranger laughed. “I’m not here to arrest you,” she said, clearly amused. “In fact, it would be entirely possible for somebody to come arrest me.” She leaned back in her chair and laughed softly, giving Aaron an uneasy feeling. He coughed and ignored it.

“So… who, then?”

He could feel her raising an eyebrow. “To the point. Nice.” She lingered on the ‘s’ sound for a few moments too long. “I imagine you’ve heard about the recent succession, unless your frequent moving around prevented you from doing so.”

Aaron scoffed, but he really didn’t know. He just didn’t want to show some sort of weakness in front of this person. “Of course I know,” he replied, lying through his teeth. Somehow, he felt like she knew.

“Well then. You have an idea of who my target is, but you don’t know who they are or where they are.” The stranger paused. “Her name is Saivel Athess, and I will provide you with information as to her whereabouts. Now—I know what you’re thinking. You can’t kill a Lord, that’s preposterous!” She leaned in and grinned. “However, shortly after succession, Lords are as mortal as any one of us.”

“Why, exactly, do you want her dead?” Aaron replied calmly, trying to hide the fact that his brain was furiously working. A Lord? An Elemental Lord? The woman must be insane, he decided. He couldn’t take this job.

You’re curious, though, some part of him said. Aaron let the thought pass.

The grin faded from the woman’s face and it felt as if, somehow, she delved deeper into shadow. “It is none of your concern,” she snapped finally. Aaron barely managed to keep himself from raising an eyebrow. Oh? ‘None of his concern,’ hm? “I’ll pay you more than you’ve fucking seen, bloodsucker, if you get rid of that Chaotic…” The woman thought over her choice of word, then continued with, “…bitch.”

“Oh? How much?” He pretended that the woman’s calling him ‘bloodsucker’ had not annoyed him in the slightest. Truthfully, he had no interest in taking the job, but dammit, he was curious. He wanted to know exactly why someone would want an Elemental Lord dead. Even so, Aaron doubted the woman would give him the information he wanted.

“How does two thousand silver sound?” the woman asked sweetly, her voice dripping with poison. She knew he didn’t want the job.

“I don’t know what you’ve heard about me,” Aaron said brusquely, causing a sudden shift in the conversation, “but I don’t take many jobs. The jobs I do take are because I believe that whoever my employer wants dead is someone that ought to be dead. And if you think that I will try to assassinate a fucking Elemental Lord for no reason, no amount of money will convince me.”

With that, he sprang up from his chair and immediately left the place, ignoring the woman’s gaze on his back as he walked away.

At least he had a name. Saivel Athess. And what had the woman called the new Lord? Or Lady, he thought to himself. A ‘Chaotic bitch.’

So the person this woman wants dead, he mused, is not only an Elemental Lord but the Lord of Chaos. He grinned. Sounds interesting.

And with that, the vampire stole off into the night.

*~*~*~*

The days were getting shorter and colder and Saivel did not want any of it. That morning she woke up to a thin layer of snow covering the grass outside her house in the forest. When she went out to kick at it (for no reason, really, it just pissed her off for whatever reason), Kaime chose to appear.

“Come on now, Saivel,” they said gently. “Are you picking fights with snow?

“No,” she snapped back, then regretted it. Still, she just breathed in and let the word hang there, not wanting to take it back. After a few moments, she walked back inside and decided that she was going to leave her home.

Not for long, not permanently, no. She wasn’t even going to go far away. But… she just wanted to get away. To get space. To not be seeing reminders of her father, her grandfather, her uncle when she glanced around her house. Because look—he had given her that sword as a gift when he had realized she was interested in swordplay. Look—her grandfather had handed her a warm red scarf because he didn’t want her to get too cold in winter. Look—look—look.

There was no escape from this constant reminder, not in this house, anyway. So Saivel made up her mind to leave to the nearby city. Nobody would recognize her, and as long as she found out some way to keep her eyes hidden, nobody would care about her.

Good.

She found an old charm (that her father had given her) that was able to mask her eyes, to turn them from the dangerous purple people recognized to a dark brown. Back when her father had let her attend school, she had worn this. Eventually, though, she had left, and the charm had sat forgotten in a corner of her chest of belongings.

So, that night, with bags full of coins and clothing and all other sorts of things necessary to go on a ‘vacation’ of sorts, Saivel left.

And that night, when she stopped at a little tavern to see if they had a free room for her to stay, she met a very funny girl. A young girl, bursting full of energy and innocence and kindness and very, very naïve. Her black hair was occasionally streaked with green, which was intriguing. She introduced herself as Venia Their and, somehow, managed to befriend Saivel in all of two hours.

And then, that night, for the first time in a while, Saivel was able to smile without lying.

im in like two hundred trashcans right now:
Kaime did not like to lie.

They would lie if it was necessary, yes, and with some reluctance they would stretch the truth and leave out important information and make their replies so vague they could mean anything. But still, they did not like to lie. Even when it was necessary.

Especially when it was necessary because they knew that if they did not lie, it could only end in pain.

At first they had thought of Fuse as just a kind man, perhaps a little confused and little scatter-brained at times but still a loyal friend. And very, very powerful. Sometimes Kaime would forget that, but circumstances never failed to remind them, very clearly. At times, they would be scared of the man after displays of power, but Fuse was too kind to be scared of for too long and eventually Kaime thought of his power as almost nothing. It was just like Saivel's occasional insensitivity or her pride when she did not want to apologize and instead did it in ways that were hard to interpret as 'apologies.'

And then, eventually (Kaime was not sure exactly when, because time was relative for them, a thing they did not care for or keep track of), something changed. And the man was still a friend, yes, but Kaime found that they paid more attention to things. They realized Fuse had a nervous habit of running his hands through his hair and made a particular face when something displeased him. They realized Fuse had this specific quirk of a smile when he was trying not to laugh.

But laughter was best, they thought, because whenever Fuse laughed they wanted to laugh too.

For a while they did not recognize exactly what he was thinking, feeling rather. To most, it appeared they were just good friends, and Kaime was undoubtedly a better source of comfort than Saivel. For all her good traits, she was closed off and coldly insensitive at times. (Mostly because she did not like to seem weak or vulnerable. This was something Kaime had noticed, but not in the same way they noticed things about Fuse.).

So, some nights Fuse would be plagued by nightmares, and Kaime would not be sleeping because they did not really need sleep. Instead they amused himself with other things, usually spending time in the little garden they'd cultivated on the ground of the Citadel. Still, they had very keen ears, and so usually they would hear Fuse stirring, his sleep disturbed, and hear fearful footsteps in the hall, and then they would go find the Lord of Chaos and try to convince him that the monsters were gone.

These moments were the complete opposites of the time Fuse showed that he was, really, a Lord. In these moments he was weak, vulnerable, human. (And Kaime noted that Saivel tried her best not to act weak or vulnerable and perhaps that was why sometimes she seemed alien and inhuman.)

Human. It was a strange concept to Kaime, who was not human. Not really. For the longest time they had lingered as a forest spirit, focusing only on protecting the arcane vegetation of his land. In that time, the humans of the nearby village had feared them, sometimes a black panther silent as the night, sometimes an indistinct black shape in the shadows.

Eventually, Kaime had found ways to become human. Mostly, look more human--it took a long, long time to figure that out. They copied people, at first, but felt disgusted seeing themselves stealing someone's face. So instead they picked different features; a nose from him, eyes from her, a jaw from the baker, hair from the traveler there only to rest.

They may have looked human, but they were not really human. They had no need to eat, or sleep, or drink, or do any other things necessary for humans to do. In fact, they didn't even need to breathe or blink. However, after Saivel had pointed out that their not breathing or blinking was creepy, they had tried their best to imitate the actions regularly.

And Kaime was unlike humans in other ways. Saivel had asked them once if they 'had an eye' on anybody. He responded with confusion.

"Y'know, like, I don't know. You'd like to court a girl or... marry her, or something." Kaime just looked at her oddly and she seemed to get the point.

It was true that they did occasionally take to people, but (unlike someone) they seemed to take to them in the way that Saivel would refer to as 'boringly innocent.' The few times they had talked to Saivel about this, she had asked about the 'object of their attraction' in a joking sort of tone.

"Kaime," she said finally, the last time they'd spoken to her about somebody not her, "You are telling me only about boys. And you are being boringly innocent, too."

"You are the one who tells me about both," they pointed out. "In not only 'boringly innocent' ways." She choked on her drink in response and immediately the conversation was forgotten as she went into a coughing fit.

Now, she was with Fuse. And that, that was fine, Kaime thought, because they were happy and had an easy sort of grace around each other and when she insulted him both knew it was in good humor and her insensitivity was... lessened now, perhaps not gone, but lessened.

Well, it was fine for them.

Eventually, Kaime realized that they had done the thing where they had fallen in love with someone again. 'And another boy,' an imaginary Saivel said in their mind with an exasperated sigh, as if she were keeping a tally. And once again, it was someone who they had no chance of having. And in a 'boringly innocent' way.

So they ignored the feeling, like many other times before. Thankfully, nobody asked them questions that they had to really lie about. They did not like to lie. People would ask them, "So, what do you think about Saivel and Fuse?" and they would shrug and say, "They're happy together," and that wasn't a lie, because they were.

And people would ask them "Are you jealous?" and they would say 'no' because they knew they meant him, Fuse, and no it was not him they were jealous of.

And when somebody caught them looking at the two sitting together, laughing, with an odd sort of look on their face, and asked them, "You still love her, don't you?" they could scoff and say "No" and be completely truthful, because no, they did not still love her. They were friends, good friends, friends that knew each other very well and had been friends for a long time. No, they did not still love her.

And once, Saivel asked them if he was interested in somebody, and they had to pause and he said "Yes" because where was the harm in it, and she asked whether it was another boy and they nodded, and Saivel asked if it was someone she knew. Kaime paused.

They did not like to lie. Even when it was necessary. Especially when it was necessary because they knew that if they did not lie, it could only end in pain.

But, this time, they lied and shook their head no. And Saivel shrugged it off as nothing and left them to his business.

They did not like to lie.

But sometimes, they had to.
woops some notes:
saivel is bi but with a preference for *wink wonk* dudes (but doing romantic stuff with girls) and kaime is well, a gay baby (and asexual).

Last edited by elder on Sat May 23, 2015 10:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Death is... kinda hot on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Awwww.

I'm a girl, by the way.
Death is... kinda hot
Death is... kinda hot
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:35 pm

updated the op

aka i couldnt help it i just wanted to make a star trek au

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Death is... kinda hot on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Ooh, everything's all organized and stuff now!

P.S. you should continue Xiavengers that was good

I'm a girl, by the way.
Death is... kinda hot
Death is... kinda hot
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:59 am

yeah i should

(the issue is i'm not sure who to villain?)

chapter four: a duet risen from blood

Something was wrong.

Kaime knew it the moment they breathed in the dew-drenched air of the morning and saw the sky turn orange-purple gold and the moment they saw the dew glisten on the blades of grass and heard the birds call songs into the sky. They knew it the moment they touched The Tree, their tree, and they definitely knew it the moment they searched for the presence that they always felt in the forest. They searched for the presence of fire flickering and the presence of a slight distortion, a slight warp in their land.

There was nothing.

At first they were struck with worry and, though they did not need to breathe, they felt as if they could not breathe. Something vital was gone and—oh Lords, they could not sense her if she was dead, could it be possible? No, no, she wouldn’t, they told themselves. She’s too proud for that, too proud to give in to her circumstances. At least there was one instance they could think of her damned pride being a good thing.

Still, they could not keep himself from walking to her home, the home they helped construct hidden in the midst of their land. And then suddenly, walking became running, and suddenly they was worried, worried beyond any sort of worry they had ever felt before, because she was gone, she was gone, had she left? Was she dead?

The spirit only barely managed to keep themselves from smashing into her door. They knocked, barely keeping themselves from pounding the door. There was no answer. Kaime knocked louder, and still there was silence. Oh Lords oh Lords please—please. They were afraid, so terribly afraid, and one hand crept down to the doorknob and—it opened.

Someone didn’t… Kaime swallowed down their fears and stepped inside. No, no assassin could have bested Saivel. Certainly it had been long enough for her power to settle so that it was a fruitless endeavor to try and kill her. Certainly she was strong enough to fend off an attacker.

But the quiet pressed in around them, cloying, burying them in doubt and in terror. Maybe she’s sleeping, they told themselves. Sleeping, yeah? Nothing to worry about. Her door had been unlocked, though. Saivel would not leave her door unlocked, not after the millions of times they’d told her to lock it over and over.

Knowing they did not need it, Kaime could not help from breathing in, the rhythm calming them down enough to think it through. Maybe she left without informing me. Maybe, maybe—maybe she would’ve left a note, then? Yes, a note was a very sort of Saivel thing to do, because by the time you found a note, she would be too far away for you to stop her, and still you were informed that you need not worry.

They did need to worry, though. She had purple eyes, and everyone knew purple eyes could mean only one thing. Though impulsive, there was no way she would’ve left if she knew she could be recognized immediately. Maybe she’d found a way to hide them—but now there were too many ‘maybe’s, too many possibilities, too many things that could have been without an idea of what really was.

Calm down. Look for a note. And then another part of Kaime’s mind kicked in—What if it’s a different kind of note? Ignoring the thought, they began to look around. Saivel would’ve left it somewhere they could not miss it, so it couldn’t be buried under piles of garbage. Half of the front hall was covered in piles of miscellaneous items that had piled up over the years, so it would not be there.

They moved on to the living room, then, and found the note on a little table Saivel had put there solely so she could eat in the plush chair. “If you spill your soup, you’re going to have to clean it up,” they’d gently chided her. Saivel had just laughed and told them that she wouldn’t.

Needed some space. Don’t worry, got a charm. Makes eyes brown. Be back in a few days. Kaime finally allowed themselves to fully calm down. So she was gone, but she had a charm to disguise herself, at least. The note was very brief, but that was a very Saivel thing to do. More likely than not, she’d remembered them at the last moment and scribbled something down merely so that they wouldn’t go into a frenzied panic.

The calm they had found after finding her note did not last for too long. How long, exactly, Kaime wasn’t sure, only that when they looked up after hearing a noise, they could see about half of the sun. Even with their eyesight, the house was still slightly dim. The spirit crouched down close to the ground, listening further.

Someone was here. They opened the door—they could hear just the slightest creak as it moved. Despite their efforts to walk lightly, Kaime had very sharp hearing, past that of any human they knew (though to be fair, they knew relatively few humans). Whoever it was walked slowly and cautiously.

Whoever this is, they can’t be trustworthy, Kaime thought to themselves, narrowing their eyes. Soon enough, the person peeked out from the front hall. Low to the ground as they were, Kaime could not be visible to the stranger in this low light.

This gave them the advantage, because the stranger was completely shocked when Kaime leapt up above them, flattening them on the ground. To their credit, they did manage to unsheathe their blade and Kaime just narrowly dodged out of the way as the stranger slashed at them. Ah. This must be an assassin, then.

The assassin managed to get to their feet and stand, then run away as they saw Kaime approaching. This was both good, and not so good. First of all, this meant that someone knew where Saivel lived. Second of all, this meant someone wanted Saivel dead. Third… did this mean they could find The Tree?

No, no, it was hidden, far away from Saivel’s house. Only they knew the way to find it, a secret they had not even entrusted to Saivel. And nobody, they knew beyond a doubt, could hope to figure out the way just by dumb luck.

Still, they had reason to be concerned. Someone was after Saivel, and more likely the not the fact she was not at home would not deter them. Kaime had to find her and tell her about the danger she was in.

The trouble was that they didn’t know where she was.

*~*~*~*

“…she’s about this tall, long black hair, brown eyes. Name’s Saivel.” Aaron immediately perked up at the name of the person he was looking for. Someone murmured an apology and then whoever was talking to them sighed. “It’s alright, I’m sure someone will know where she is. Thank you for your time.”

Who could this be, then? Clearly they knew who Saivel was, but they were looking for her in a way too overt way to be an assassin. Maybe they knew her personally. This was what Aaron had been looking for. He turned around and found himself face-to-face with another person, just a bit taller than him, with black hair a bit too long and eyes green as the forest.

The person said “Ah! Sorry,” just as Aaron said, “You’re looking for Saivel?”

Immediately the person looked at him, surprised. “Do you know where she is?” There was very real concern in their voice, but something felt a little odd about them, something Aaron could not quite place.

“Saivel Athess, right?” Aaron needed to know he was right. Saivel was not a terribly common name, but still… there were such things as coincidences.

At this the person frowned, but nodded. “How do you know?...”

Aaron grimaced. “What’s your relation to her?”

“I’m her cousin. Kaime.” Even though they said this with confidence, Aaron knew they were lying. They hadn’t been lying about their concern for Saivel, so why lie about their relation? It didn’t change anything, really.

“Well… better for us to talk about this somewhere less open.” Aaron gestured vaguely around them. Kaime nodded and Aaron led the way to an area near the outskirts of the small town, a clearing in the forest surrounding them covered by dense canopy. The shadows shifted with the trees in the winter wind, unnerving the vampire slightly. He was here for a purpose, though.

“So?” Kaime asked the moment they entered the clearing.

“…I was asked to assassinate Saivel Athess. No—I have no intention of doing so, I only kill people who ought to be dead.” Aaron grinned, but Kaime did not seem terribly comforted. “There’s something odd, though. My… potential employer did not state her reason for wanting the new Lord of Chaos dead.” The vampire studied Kaime as he dropped the whole ‘Lord of Chaos’ thing casually. They did not seem surprised at the information, moreso that Aaron knew it. “Usually they’ll say it’s for the good of the people or something, or maybe they’ll admit it’s for their own personal gain, but I’ve not encountered one potential employer yet who’s not given me a reason they want someone dead.”

“What do you want from me, then?” Kaime asked. Get it over with was probably what they were thinking.

“You know about her, clearly, though you lied about being her brother,” Aaron said bluntly. “I was wondering if you could enlighten me.”

Kaime sighed. “Well, you are correct about my not being related to her,” they admitted sheepishly. “I am only her friend, but I don’t know any reason someone would want Saivel dead. She is not the greatest person in the world, and Chaos may be a little unpopular, but…” They shrugged. “I’m afraid I can’t help you.”

“Maybe she can help me, then.” Kaime blinked at Aaron, confused. The vampire rolled his eyes. “Come on—you’re looking for her for—I don’t know why, probably because you're worried about her or something, I’m looking for her because I want to know why someone would pay two thousand silver for her death.”

They seemed to think it over for a few moments. Finally they nodded, albeit slowly and reluctantly. Aaron smiled. “So, you learned anything from your asking around?”

Kaime paused, thinking over what they knew. "Well..."

Last edited by elder on Sat May 23, 2015 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:11 am

my brain is set on writing this or more dumb kaise and im running out of trashcans so
that is ship name now i decree it to be so

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:15 am

i could probably write star trek au but thats still planning p much

myth au i should work on but it wont be finished anytime soon

xiavengers, as i said before, i dont know who villain wat

prettiest boyo
prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Death is... kinda hot on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 am

You could just make up random dudes as bad guys.

I'm a girl, by the way.
Death is... kinda hot
Death is... kinda hot
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 am

I've got like five different interconnected universes full of characters that will never be used

if you need a bad guy just ask me

Andrew
Site Owner
Site Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 am

also worth noting: 3 of them were designed as your usual comic book villain

Andrew
Site Owner
Site Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Death is... kinda hot on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Awesome.

I'm a girl, by the way.
Death is... kinda hot
Death is... kinda hot
Reader of good books
Reader of good books