Reader of good books

Currently playing : Danger Zone

View user profile http://spaghettisaurus-rex.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: One Thousand and One AUs

Post by no mom its ironic on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:25 pm

dID SOMEONE SAY I NEED TO TALK MORE ABOUT SERENDIPITY??? YES??? GOOD

anyway 'bout bloons characters this time

lucian and chrono are the ultimate Odd Couple. not like, couple yes no you know what i mean i am headcanoning chrono as aromantic and lucian is probably the Only Straight Person in the whole freaking lox crew

chrono is a freakin' genius, but at the same time not strictly employed and not going to college either. lucian is his significantly more responsible best friend, who is aiming to become a doctor, and whose apartment he was at first crashing at temporarily but now has become a permanent fixture in. thankfully his family is providing the funds for the apartment, and anyway chrono makes money off repairing various things which helps them not die.

darkblithe is the resident juvenile delinquent. he, lucian, and chrono are 'acquaintances' of a sort, which is to say mortal fucking enemies. he's an absolute scumbag, only protected by the fact that he's got money behind him. like, a whole lot of money behind him. he jokes about an interest in blood magic and occult shit, but it's anybody's guess how serious he is about that.

prettiest boyo

Currently playing : pokemon in my heart

View user profile http://ezlybored.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:28 pm

WOOP DOOP XIAVENGERs.

mostly aliens this chapter

Chapter Two: All in the Name of Business

As the two waited for the lift to take them down to the ship they would be departing on, Brutaer took the time to study Zinvis. Ey was, like most Investigators were, taller than Bru, with a slimmer build, long limbs, and smooth dark grey skin, somewhat translucent, like dark glass. Eir several narrow eyes were a deep black lacking any sheen, with silvery irises surrounding the wide pupils. The three black horns that curved from the top of eir head were short, a clear sign of Zinvis’ relative youth, but were also marked with the dimly glowing symbols that indicated a fairly high echelon. If Bru recalled the Investigator markings correctly, Zinvis was only a few below xyr own.

Bru, on the other hand, looked entirely different from Zinvis. While the Investigators needed stealth on their side, Mercenaries were brute force, flashy and intimidating, immediately noticeable on a battlefield--and so xyr skin was a metallic copper-red, heavily scarred, as most Mercenaries of xyr age and echelon were. Next to Zinvis, Bru looked as if xe was squashed, with a significantly shorter and stockier build than the Investigator, limbs thick with muscle instead of long and delicate like Zinvis’. Xe only had three black eyes to Zinvis’ five, with irises the same color as xyr skin. The single jet black horn that jutted from xyr head was straight, thick, and longer than Zinvis’s, and also quite extensively etched into, befitting a veteran Mercenary.

Zinvis’ silver irises glanced over towards Bru. "Is something the matter, Mercenary Brutaer?" Ey blinked once, expression one of impenetrable calm.

Bru stared straight back unflinchingly, voice even as xe said, "Either call me Bru or Mercenary, not 'Mercenary Brutaer.' No one calls me that."

"Then I shall be the first," Zinvis stated smoothly, completely unperturbed by Bru's death glare. "And if we are on the topic of preferred method of address, I would rather you refer to me by my title, Investigator, not by name."

When Bru merely narrowed xyr eyes at Zinvis instead of responding, ey turned eir head so that ey was once again facing forward. Ey remained that way, stoically still, as Bru hissed, "If I recall Investigator markings correctly, then I am a higher echelon than you are, Zinvis." The word 'markings' was given special emphasis; it was well known that Mercenaries prided themselves on the fact their horns were permanently engraved, not merely marked as most other allotments' horns were.

"You do, Mercenary Brutaer. I merely assumed that we ought to inform each other of how we liked to be called." Zinvis glanced at the small device ey held in eir hands, reading through whatever was on its screen. "In any case, for the purposes of this mission, we will be going by false identities."

No matter how stubborn xe might have been, Bru knew when to stop pushing a point. Xe grunted, trying to peek at whatever was on Zinvis' screen without looking too obvious about it. "How come you know so much more about this mission than I do?" xe questioned somewhat annoyedly, craning xyr neck to get a better look.

Zinvis tried to ignore Bru's obvious attempts to see eir screen, scrolling downwards to continue reading. Eir answer was cool: "You were delayed returning from your last mission, and your communications systems were damaged. The Overseers did not want to delay this mission any further and so decided that you would just have to be informed more quickly than usual."

"They really want that Source taken care of, don't they?" Deciding Bru's musings were likely rhetorical, Zinvis ignored the question and instead looked to the doors of the lift as it came to a halt. Ey strode out in front of Bru, who had not been anticipating the sudden change and had to hurry to catch up. Xyr legs, though long by Mercenary standards, were shorter than Zinvis'.

The two walked swiftly, Bru following behind Zinvis as xe was unaware of where in the hangar their ship was located. After some time had passed and Zinvis did not seem to be slowing, Bru realized exactly how much in the dark xe was. Though xe understood Zinvis' explanation and thought if reasonable, xe could not stop xyrself from feeling affronted.

First and foremost of xyr unanswered concerns was the identities xe and Zinvis would be assuming. "What are these false identities we'll be going by?"

Before ey answered, Zinvis stopped, took in eir surroundings, and then headed in another direction. As ey spoke, ey remained facing forward, not sparing Bru a second glance. "I am Zamora Villalobos, and you are Brooke--or Beniko--Akiyama."

Bru sounded out the names in xyr head, quietly noting to xyrself how weird ‘human’ names were. “And what do our disguises look like?”

Without warning, Zinvis abruptly stopped, gazing at a fairly small, sleek ship designed for fast and covert travel. Ey barely hid a smirk as Bru only just managed to stop from bumping into em. “See for yourself, Investigator Brutaer.”

Following Zinvis' line of sight, Bru barely stopped xyrself from doing something foolish. If this had been in the works to the point where disguises had already been manufactured, why had xe been left out of the loop? Unless it was the Ultimate Overseer, there was no way the disguises could have been created that quickly. At the very thought of the Ultimate Overseer being responsible for the mission, Bru clicked xyr mouth. Sure, Sources were incredibly important. But one little lost one wasn't important enough for the Ultimate Overseer herself to become involved.

"Is something the matter, Mercenary Brutaer?" asked Zinvis, now focused on Bru and not on the ship. One look at Zinvis' eyes and Bru got the distinct impression ey thought this was funny. Xe wasn't an expert at reading Investigators or anything, but xe was pretty sure Zinvis was having a great time with this.

Purposefully, Bru jostled Zinvis with xyr shoulder as xe walked past em, muttering, "You can find that out for yourself, can't you?" Zinvis froze at the unexpected contact, eyes narrowing slightly, but did not retaliate. Within a few moments ey was following Bru into the ship.

"You know as well as I do that is both a frivolous use of my abilities and likely a useless endeavour." As if setting some kind of example for xem, ey was giving Bru a wide berth as ey walked around the ship. Ey came to a stop next to the see-through container where eir disguise was held.

The vessel was small and compact, built for stealth, speed, and stability. Still, Bru knew well enough that, just in case, there were a few weapons stored aboard. Nothing high-tech like xe would prefer, but from what xe knew it would be more than enough to deal with anything the 'humans' could throw at xem. Xe cast an appraising glance over the control panel, making a satisfied noise, then turning to see what xyr disguise looked like.

The cases in which the disguises were held were, luckily, labelled. Zinvis' was tall, limbs long and thin with little muscle. Its face was angular, chin narrow, nose a sharp point extending forward. Black hair, reaching to the disguise's shoulders, waved slightly in some wind inside the case.

To contrast, Bru's disguise was shorter and stockier, more muscular than Zinvis', with tanned skin that was disappointingly smooth. Perhaps Bru could add some proper scars later. The disguise had black hair like Zinvis', only much shorter, on one side shaved, on the other barely reaching to the chin. Zinvis' disguise was all thin, sharp angles, like a knife; Bru's had more meat to it, not cutting but imposing, face wider, cheekbones prominent. Apart from the not being scarred, it did, in a way, resemble Bru. That didn't make it look any less weird, though.

Without meaning to, Bru let out a disdainful sound, in response to which Zinvis narrowed one pair of eir eyes. Bru blurted out, as if an explanation, "is that what humans look like?"

Although more subtle about it, Zinvis was just as disdainful. "They are, in some ways, similar to us in their anatomy."

Bru stepped back, trying to see what Zinvis was talking about. "Past the standing-on-two-legs, I don't see what we have in common. What are--"

As if predicting Bru's question, Zinvis clicked their mouth a few times. "Humans--for the most part--are divisible, based on construction, into two groups. The majority of them conform to a gender binary of male and female."

Honestly, Bru was not entirely sure whether or not Zinvis was joking. "What."

"There is a roughly equivalent amount of both sexes. After some research, it was concluded both you and I are more similar to females."

This information took Bru off guard. Xe started, voice lowering as they whispered, "Zinvis, we are thinking of the same thi--"

"Yes. Do not think anything of it." With one last disapproving click, Zinvis flicked something upwards on their screen and changed the subject quickly. "It is likely you have already received the message, but in order to be certain, I have sent you an overview of the species."

When Bru merely grunted, searching to find their device in some pocket, Zinvis remarked to themselves in some kind of self-contained conversation, "My horns must grow heavy.” It was so soft, Bru almost didn’t hear it, doubting their senses for a few moments before Zinvis, in reply to eir own words, said, “they do not need you to mark them."

The sheer ridiculousness of the situation made Bru click their mouth once, sharply. "Are you thanking yourself in my place?"

All of Zinvis' eyes blinked at once. Ey looked as if they were surprised Bru thought it was ridiculous. "It is not as if you are going to do it," ey pointed out.

Eir words were true, but Bru was reluctant to admit it. "I might as well have said it," xe grumbled, finally locating their device and searching for Zinvis' message.

"What, with that grunt?” Indignation sharpened Zinvis’ tone, caused them to turn away from Bru sharply to focus their attention on the wall. After a second’s silence, their voice was once again cool and emotionless. “Perhaps such an action is acceptable to other Mercenaries, but I am afraid that I do not recognize it as a proper thanks."

“How old are you?”

The question was unexpected, and asked with an entirely curious voice, though it was possible that Bru was faking xyr tone. It took a moment for Zinvis to reply with a dismissive, “That has nothing to do with the matter at hand.”

Bru, it appeared, was not willing to concede on the point. “Have you even worked with anyone outside of your allotment before?” xe pressed Zinvis, anger creeping in on their voice. “Anyone higher in echelon than you? Apart from a supervisor, someone giving you orders.”

“No,” admitted Zinvis, watching Bru warily. What was the Mercenary hoping to achieve with this line of questioning? Ey entertained the thought of finding out forcibly for a second, before dismissing the notion. There was little use expending energy on something like that.

Hiding xyr initial surprise (how young was Zinvis?), Bru spoke bluntly, enough force behind their voice to make Zinvis fall silent. "Then I will tell you this once, since it's your first time: live with it. I have both seniority and rank on you, Zinvis. You may be a high echelon for your age, but I am higher." Bru gestured from Zinvis' horns to xyr own, which were much more extensively marked and a fair deal longer. "No one working with you is going to comply with what you want just because you want it if they're a higher echelon than you. When you start working with others that are below you, then you can do this kind of thing."

Xe took a step towards Zinvis, who tried not to flinch away. "But not with me."

At Zinvis' cowed silence, Bru seemed to take offense. Xe clicked their mouth sharply. "Do you understand?"

There was a few moments' pause before Zinvis spoke. "Yes, Mercenary Brutaer."

"Good." Apparently satisfied, Bru stepped back and cast a glance around the ship. "The course is already plotted, yes?"

"Of course." It was preposterous to think otherwise, and Zinvis could not help scoffing. "Still, there is information you do not yet know--"

Ey were rather abruptly cut off by Bru. "I can get to know it on the way. Let's move."

Zinvis began to protest. "Mercenary--"

Once again, Bru cut em off. "Now."

"...fine," grumbled Zinvis. In only about a minute, the ship had left the hangar and was on its way to the planet called Earth.

*~*~*~*

There was a stark contrast between the expressions on the faces of Zinvis and Brutaer--or, technically speaking, their disguises--at the sound the motorcycle made. While Bru seemed amused, and enthusiastic about driving it ("At least humans know how to make an automobile," xe had remarked), Zinvis had... some doubts about trusting Brutaer to safely drive xyrself into the city. Due to the Source's interference, and the need for secrecy, the ship had needed to land at a secluded area some distance from the city itself. Technically speaking, the two were supposed to be using the car mainly, the motorcycle being there as a potential second option for 'greater maneuverability' or something.

As ey lifted the last of their supplies into the car, Zinvis eyed Bru warily. Xe was seated on the motorcycle, a dark red helmet seated (reluctantly) on xyr head. The rest of xyr clothing, which xe'd picked out of the wide array of human clothes the two had been provided, consisted of a black leather jacket over a short-sleeved bright red shirt, denim jeans, and combat boots. Hidden on xyr person, and in not-technically-accurate-to-human-technology additions to the motorcycle (which were nothing compared to the car's modifications) were a variety of weapons.

Zinvis, on the other hand, was unarmed (apart from eir abilities),wearing a simple navy cardigan over a light blue floral-patterned shirt and a white skirt reaching to eir knees, blue flats completing the outfit. Ey had pulled their hair back into a ponytail, instead of keeping it down.

"Hurry up, Zinvis," Bru grunted, turning to face em and seeing the uncertain expression on eir face. Xe looked almost offended. "What, do you not trust me to drive this thing? I've driven similar enough vehicles before, you know. And besides, if all else fails they have built in an autopilot of sorts, or as much as they could manage in the time they had." As if to prove xyr point, a glowing display suddenly lit up. "I should be doubting your ability to drive that thing, if anything."

"The motorcycle was an afterthought," Zinvis retorted, stiffening. "The car has much more advanced modifications and is significantly safer than that accident waiting to happen." Decisively, ey walked over to the door and opened it, seating emself in the driver's seat. Before closing the door, they added, "Do not harm yourself, Mercenary Brutaer. That would be a detriment to our mission."

"Alright, let's get moving then!" Impatient as xe was, Bru was already on the road before Zinvis had actually even closed the door. Ey very nearly clicked eir mouth before realizing it wasn't very feasible in the disguise, and then decided that ey just ought to follow Brutaer and make sure xe didn't crash and hurt xyrself. That would, after all, be a detriment to the mission.

*~*~*~*

When Andy walked into the empty warehouse, Guy and Bloons trailing a few feet behind him, he was met with the unexpected image of Elder and Max seated on metal folding chairs beside a folding table. The two girls were heatedly discussing something he couldn’t quite make out, a piece of paper and Elder’s phone between them. Max held a pencil in her hand and was either drawing or writing something on the paper--maybe both.

“Hey,” he called out hesitantly, to warn them he was there. Almost immediately, both of them turned to look at them. Max looked excited. Elder looked… “...why are you wearing a surgical mask?”

Elder pulled the black mask down below her chin, revealing a wide grin. She said, as if it were obvious, “Because it’s my hella superhero costume!” Eager to show her ‘hella superhero costume off,’ she scooted the chair out from the table and stood up, spreading her arms out wide. It was then that he noticed she was also wearing a sleeveless, bright red hoodie, and under it, a black long-sleeved shirt and black jeans. A pair of blood red fingerless gloves completed the outfit.

After taking it all in, Andy opened his mouth to ask a question, only to get interrupted by Max. “We’re designing mine right now. It’s a bit fancier than Elder’s.” She glanced down at the paper and then back up at him, sheepish. “...and a bit more expensive.”

Once again, Andy opened his mouth and was interrupted, this time by Elder pointing at him and exclaiming, “Which is where you come in!” He gestured at himself, completely bemused. How was he supposed to get the money for a superhero costume, of all things? He wasn’t entirely sold on the whole ‘superhero’ idea in the first place. Scratch that, he was pretty squarely against it.

“Yes, you! You just need to--oh, hey Guy.” Whatever explanation Elder intended to give was abruptly cut off as she waved with her non-pointing hand at Guy and Bloons. Guy gave her a once-over, raised his eyebrows, and walked over to the table to pull out a chair for himself. Bloons rolled his eyes, but similarly didn’t seem… too shocked by the whole thing, merely following after Guy.

When they’d seated themselves, Elder’s attention immediately returned to Andy. “Where was I? Oh! Yeah. You just need to help me with a plan of mine. It’s not illegal, don’t worry.”

“...I wasn’t going to ask that in the first place.” Suddenly, Andy looked concerned. “But now that you said that, I’m worried.”

“Don’t be a dumbbutt, Andy. Hey, where’s Dragon? He’ll miss out on hearing my master plan to make us all into superheroes. We’re not going to be actually fighting crime, just to clarify. Just, you know… it’ll be fun! We have superpowers, dude!” She gestured excitedly, looking a bit ridiculous with the surgical mask still tucked under her chin. “Might as well have some fun with ‘em, am I right?”

“Well, I guess,” he conceded, but was still far from sold on the idea. “Oh--” A bit belatedly, he realized Elder had asked about Dragon. “I’m not sure where Dragon is. Maybe someone should give him a call?”

“Good idea. I… have I got his number? You do, right?” Elder dived into the pocket of her hoodie to get her phone, then paused. “Where’s my phone?”

“Right here,” Bloons said helpfully, picking it up from the table and waving it in the air. “Why were you googling--”

Max quickly cut him off with a ‘for science,’ and looked at the screen with disappointment. “It wasn’t much help anyway.”

“Yeah, shame,” Elder sighed. “How come nobody’s had the idea to put LED lights in their gloves before? Or at least, how come nobody’s recorded how they did it? Maybe we’re not searching with the right terms. Max, can you toss my phone over here?”

As if of its own will, the phone left Bloon’s hand and floated over to Elder. She exited the browser and was tapping away before a voice called out. “I’m not late to the party, am I?”

“Hey Dragon!” Andy grinned and waved over to him, Dragon waving back as he walked over to the others.

“Hey.” He came to a stop next to Andy, glancing around at the others. “Did I miss anything?”

“Nothing! Actually, now that you’re here, I can get to explaining my master plan.” Elder shoved her phone into her pocket. “Guys, we are gonna be motherfucking superheroes.”

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by you're not my supervisor on Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:00 pm

YAY

I'm a girl, by the way.
you're not my supervisor
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:15 am

honestly i am terrible at worldbuilding

on government:

on languages:

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:17 am

im trying to figure out stuff for a story i'm working on, the working title of which is infidels. not sure exactly how happy i am with that. maybe that's more of a series title thing. who kno

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:32 am

on naming conventions now:

tbh i'm not sure why im specifying this for all four countries since it's only set in one and only really deals with matters pertaining to one... maybe ill write more with characters in the other countries? idkk

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by you're not my supervisor on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:39 am

I think it's pretty cool.

I'm a girl, by the way.
you're not my supervisor
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:02 am

I've literally worked on nothing pertaining to 1001 aus,tfc, or infidels recently. I have actually been writing actual fanfiction because that's how I cope with things being over.

Also, I came up with a Sad Idea and I might have realized I'm not sure how to end the fic happily. Help.

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by you're not my supervisor on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:40 am

Oh boy. OH BOY. What do you need, bby?

I'm a girl, by the way.
you're not my supervisor
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:30 pm

pls watch I Remember You/Hello Monster, i am still thinking about that drama and I Am Upset

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:54 pm

also the Sad Idea is a veniaaron-centric au ft. brigid logan. it's fun.

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by you're not my supervisor on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:28 pm

I'm a girl, by the way.
you're not my supervisor
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:42 pm

"How does She treat you?"

"Like She owns me."

"And how did she treat you?"

"Like she loved me."

"You really are an idiot, aren't you?"

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by you're not my supervisor on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:23 am

*SCHREAMS*

I'm a girl, by the way.
you're not my supervisor
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by you're not my supervisor on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:24 am

i don't understand how i keep making that particular typo

I'm a girl, by the way.
you're not my supervisor
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:29 am

it's the german inside you?

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by you're not my supervisor on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:10 am

that has nothing to do with anything

I'm a girl, by the way.
you're not my supervisor
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:24 pm

**finger shotguns*

i... got nothing

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:28 am

part one of reincarnation au: aka kaime's backstory, and then some canon, and then some between-canon probably, and then post-canon story (which is the reincarnation part)

this is. longer than chapters of other stuff usually are.

Spoiler:
Part I: Curiosity

Humans are odd creatures, short-lived things that you simply cannot understand, living and dying in what is, to you, the blink of an eye. When they start building a settlement at the edge of your forest, only a few homes that begin as rudimentary tents, you watch their activities for some time. Eventually, you come to the conclusion that they are no threat to the Tree and leave them be. After that, you mostly forget about them, their excursions into the forest to hunt animals none of your concern. For how long you do this, you don't know. Time, for you, is entirely a different matter than for a human.

They catch your attention again when they start intruding with purpose. Trees are being cut down, to build more houses, to serve whatever purposes humans need them for. Still they remain on the fringes of the forest, perhaps bearing some knowledge of the fact that you lie within, guarding. You do not know if they know, and you don't care either. If they stay away, if they try to fight you, it makes no difference to you. For their sales, it is best they stay away. (It is odd, though, why you think 'for their sakes.' It isn't as if you really care about them. You find them curious things, to be wondered at, to be watched out of the corner of your eye, nothing more.)

Though they continue to move further into the forest, it is slow, and they remain far away from the Tree. A town springs up, small at first (or you think it is small--you don't really know human standards), but growing ever larger as more people come in and more people are born. Their lives still staunchly remain none of your business, nothing to concern yourself about. The only thing that matters is your Tree. Certainly they are vaguely amusing to watch, in a kind of way, but you don't dare interact with them and dirty yourself. In any case, your true form (or as close to a 'true form' as you have) would scare them off, making interaction with them impossible. Occasionally you entertain the thought, but as nothing more than a flight of fancy. (Before the humans came you were never as prone to 'flights of fancy,' but you don't think those silly things could have done any harm. At most, perhaps they pushed your cleansing forward by a few days. A few days, to you, is nothing at all. Already you have been alive for many human years. You'll live for much longer.)

If you had any intention of interacting with the humans, then you would need a form that doesn't scare them to death. Of course, you aren't at all interested in the humans past silently observing from a safe distance. For that task, merely making yourself invisible to human eyes is sufficient. You can gaze upon the town from within the branches of a tree, or behind one, watch them mill about and do their human things, if you are invisible. That is enough, you think. You don't need to go into the town. You don't need to see them up close, face-to-face. You are perfectly happy as you are.

For some time.

Watching from a distance only allows you to glimpse so much of the humans' lives. During the day they spend much of their time outside, walking through the streets, working at their occupations. When night falls, they retreat into their homes, where you cannot see but for snatches of movement through windows. From within you hear conversations, sometimes laughter (which you learn they do when amused or happy), sometimes yelling (which usually has quite the opposite meaning). Soon enough you grasp their language, having known none before but the formless, wordless language you use with the Tree, on the occasions you speak with each other. It is inelegant, compared to that mingling of souls, but you understand it, and you could speak it if you wished. Of course, you don't wish to interact with them. You still haven't created a proper form to do that, in any case.

Something you do have the proper form to do is observe them up close, while not attracting attention or, you hope, dirtying yourself too much. In your observing, you have noted that the humans keep pets, small animals they care for and who, in return... you are not entirely sure what the humans get out of the deal. In some cases, they have dogs to aid in hunting or herding. Cats are a complete mystery, as the creatures are independent and hunt only when they wish, not on the orders of humans. However, irrationally, you find yourself more drawn to cats, enough to give yourself the form of a black one. It is small, perhaps, but maneuverable, and the humans do not mind much if a cat appears out of nowhere.

That was how it came to be that you, appearing as a sleek black cat with green eyes, creep into the town of of the forest. People glance at you and then look away, thinking it no matter. Children stoop and squat down to pet your back and scratch behind your ears (both are rather pleasant). Up close, you notice how incredibly varied humans are. From a distance, their faces all looked roughly the same, however much their builds differed. Now, you see how their jawlines have different angles, some sharper than others: how some of their noses protrude into the air like a pointing finger and others are small, unobtrusive things; how amazing and diverse humans are.

As a cat, you are accepted, if not welcomed, in most places. You take the opportunity to look around everywhere you can. The blacksmith laughs to see you snooping around and shoos you out, saying it is no place for a cat, but he does not protest when you yawn and sit down at the entrance to watch him work. Housewives barely notice you, for the most part, unless you are directly in their line of sight. There are two kinds of them, you find; one kind will shoo you away to what they consider a safe distance and shut the door with a huff, while the other kind will look at you curiously and then leave some scraps or milk for you to eat, not that you actually need either of those things. You let other cats consume them instead.

Seeing them up close is exhilarating. But soon enough, you find it is not enough; you want more. The further you get into this curiosity, this interest, this obsession with humans, it seems you fall even faster into it. Before you know it you are taking note of the way humans are built: of their facial features, their hair, their eyes, their skin. A list is created, in your head, of the parts that make them up, how you would prefer them. You are hoping to create a human body for yourself.

As soon as you realize what you're doing, you stop it, or try to. The humans are getting to you; if you went to the Tree it would be confused at how dirty you had gotten with their foul influence in so short a time. Through all your incarnations, up to this last cleansing, you have stayed about as distant from humans as one can. What happened? You don't know.

Still, you don't stop it; you make an effort but completely fail to pull back from the gripping curiosity that has made you like this. So what if you're dirtying yourself? You care, of course, but the feeling is distant and hidden beneath excitement and anticipation and the desire to learn more.

Consigning yourself to what you now think must be your fate, you begin to create yourself a human body.

You begin slowly, hesitantly, as if by doing it you are committing some unspeakable crime, but you aren't, of course. The first efforts you make are confused and disordered. At the beginning you merely imitate people you've seen in the town, only for it to disconcert you and decide firmly on creating your own form. One that is human, but yours all the same.

Time passes. The people of the town grow older. Children are born, the elderly die. You do not mourn; it is not as if you have formed any attachment to the humans in particular. Curiosity and enthusiasm is an entirely different matter than getting personally attached, which is ridiculous. Surely you would never be that foolish.

You give your form dark skin and dark hair, eyes green as the forest you reside in. The edges are soft, not angular, and it stands tall, thin, like a tree in a way. Humans wear clothes the vast majority of the time, so you make the form some simple garments as well.

On the day you finally settle on your human form, you hover at the edge of the forest, just out of sight from anyone passing by. You aren't quite next to the town, as people would notice if you just stepped it into it from the forest. Indecisiveness grips you suddenly, doubt and anxiety making you think that turning back is a much better idea than this terrible scheme of yours. No one comes near enough to see you. It would be easy to turn around and return to the forest, to try again another day (or to give up entirely).

"Hello there," calls a voice, making you freeze. Now it's too late to turn around and leave.

"He-hello," you attempt to greet the person hesitantly, getting a little stuck on the beginning of the word. The voice that comes out of you is scratchy, somewhat, and unpleasant. "Hello," you try again, more confident this time after clearing your throat.

The owner of the voice that called out to you is, presumably, a man (though you are not entirely sure). By human standards, he is tall. In fact, he is almost as tall as you, though also with much broader shoulders and a more muscular build--which makes you realize exactly how tall and thin you made your form. His hair is an orange-red that reminds you of a sunrise, with stubble of the same shade dusting his chin. Although not near as dark as yours, his skin is sun-tanned and dotted with freckles.

Saying that you have not seen him before does not mean much, since you do not really know the humans of the town well enough to recognize them or to have seen all of them. Nonetheless, you gain the impression that he is not a native of the place. He has pronounced cheekbones, a somewhat beaklike nose, and a strong, chiseled jawline, which would look out of place in the town, you think. The natives of the town, at least, are unlikely to be sporting such features.

A gray travelling cloak conceals most of his form, with the notable exception of one arm which he's raised to wave at you. On his back is a bag, which you presume has his things inside. From his belt a small dagger hangs, and in his other hand he grasps a wooden staff.

The man wastes no time before confirming your suspicions. "I'm not from around this area," he explains. "Could you point me to the nearest town?"

You tell him that the town is quite close by, if he just follows the path. Then, before you can stop yourself, you ask: if he doesn't mind you asking, why is he in this place? There is nothing terribly interesting around these parts.

He tells you that he's heard tales of a mysterious, powerful creature, a forest spirit, that lives in the nearby forest. Granted, most people speak of it only as a rumor, since no one has really seen it for sure. Being an adventurer (this he says with some amount of pride) he intends to find out if the rumor has any truth to it.

"Oh," you say, trying not to show your shock and concern, which is fairly easy as you haven't gotten the hang of how humans express their emotions. "I have heard that rumor as well. But why do you want to search for the forest spirit? Why not just let things be?"

"Don't misunderstand," he hurriedly assures you, "I mean the spirit no harm. I just want to satisfy my own curiosity."

It's an odd feeling for you to be on the other side of a curiosity to learn more, but... not altogether unpleasant, as long as the man truly means you no harm.

"Oh," you say again, for lack of anything else to say. Briefly you consider revealing yourself to him, but decide against it. He must learn for himself, by himself. "Alright then," you say.

"Thank you for your help," the man says, and waves again, and leaves. You look after him for a few moments.

You will have to watch for that man, you decide. For a moment after he leaves you consider following him into town, but that would look suspicious. It's better to retreat for the moment. Going into the town can wait.

A few days pass, peaceful, sleepy summer days filled with heavy golden air. Even the soft breeze that weaves through the forest is lazy, meandering along its way. As far as you can tell, there is no sign of the sunrise man, as you have taken to thinking of him. There is a niggling mixture of fear and uncertainty that prevents you from stepping out of the forest to check on him, even in the form of a cat. Though he says he means no harm, you're not entirely sure he can be trusted. If he is telling the truth, then you will be glad to--well, perhaps befriend is not entirely accurate--to interact with a human.

Your anxieties are relieved for a moment when you detect the sunrise man on the periphery of the forest, and then return full-force. Hiding yourself from human sight, you make your way over to keep an eye on him. He has in his possession a variety of yet unidentifiable supplies, but you can tell he is looking around for firewood. Thusly, he will be making a fire. If he is making a fire, then you find it likely he intends to stay in the forest.

Should you go speak with him? First, you need to come up with an explanation for your being in the forest, which is, in actuality, much easier than you initially expect. Second...

It's a human standard to introduce oneself to another using a name, which is something you don't possess and have no idea of as to making one up. More likely than not, the sunrise man will think it suspicious if you tell him either that you can't tell him your name or say you have none. You think of the human names you know, then pause. He's been in the town, certainly he would find it curious if you had the same name as one of the townspeople. Of course, he can't know all of them, but you don't want to run the risk.

Is there any sort of pattern to human names? ...not that you know of, really. The animals in your forest, when they give their offspring 'names,' stick to things from nature the majority of the time. Humans have no such consistency. Though, they do on occasion also take their names from nature.

Still, you can't just pick a random name from nature. For some reason, humans have this whole thing where they are either 'male' or 'female,' a characteristic often indicated in someone's name. You're not entirely sure which of the two you would be, which complicates matters further.

The sunrise man finishes with his task of finding firewood. He begins to work at creating a fire, which he manages in short time. Soon enough a bright orange-yellow flame is burning away, surrounded by a ring of stones. Once he's quite assured of the fire's stability, the sunrise man begins looking in his supplies for something. He pulls out what you assume is food, and then something you can't identify at all. It looks like a piece of colored glass, though you can sense some magic humming within it. The sunrise man polishes it on his sleeve, then places it over his eyes and begins looking around him.

His eyes settle on you, which is odd. He can't see you, after all. It must be--

"Lords!" Quite suddenly, the sunrise man starts, moving backwards in surprise. He polishes the colored glass once again, then places it over his eyes and stares straight at you. It's unnerving. "Lords," he repeats again. "I can't believe it!"

What can't he believe? Is he in his right mind? Behind you is nothing more than a typical tree, nothing special or incredible about it. The sunrise man is making no sense at all.

A curious expression, one that's both excited and nervous at the same time, is on his face. "Are you..."

"Are you the forest spirit?"

What?

He can see you?

"Oh, um, I mean, can you communicate? With me? I--my name is, uh, Zeke. It's what I'm called. Zeke Nolan. Pleasure to meet you?" The sunrise man--Zeke--laughs nervously. It's a funny sound that you would appreciate more if you were not so confused.

Communicating with a human in this form would be jarring, and you're not sure you're willing to try. You should shift to your human form--but he'll probably recognize you then. Paralyzed by indecision, you end up just staring at Zeke and his piece of colored glass.

Fidgeting, he waits.

Eventually, you come to the conclusion you should just go to your human form, and promptly do so. "Yes, I am capable of communicating with you, in this form," you answer somewhat belatedly.

Zeke drops the colored glass. Luckily, the ground beneath his feet is soft enough that it doesn't shatter. After the soft thump of the glass landing, he's still and silent, eyes wide and mouth slightly open. Have you done something wrong? Confused at his strange silence, you wait patiently for him to do something.

"Um. Uh. Okay." Meaningless words come to before Zeke giggles, a high-pitched, nervous thing. "You--you're the forest spirit. Lords."

"Yes, I am," you agree, hoping to be helpful. It doesn't really seem to aid him, as Zeke just covers his face with his hands for a moment and exhales loudly. This is a facet of human behavior you're afraid you don't understand.

After a few deep breaths, Zeke removes his hands from his face and looks straight at you. "So then, a few days ago, when..." One hand gestures vaguely, and you nod in response. "Lords. Um, what--introductions! Yes. What's your--do you have a name?"

The realization hits him a moment too late, and he looks somewhat sheepish. "No, I do not," you tell him, somewhat redundant.

"Do you... want one?"

"Yes, I suppose so."

Zeke studies your face, then speaks slowly. "Do you want me to give you a name?"

"If you are amenable to do so."

"'Amenable.'" He shakes his head at the word for some reason, one hand rising up to rest on the back of his head. "Well then, I'll uh, see what I can do for you. Um, do you... I mean, I kind of just... wanted to talk to you, I suppose. Learn more about your whole..."

"You are curious about forest spirits." Mutely, Zeke agrees, nodding his head. "I will tell you what I can."

"Wow, really?" A grin spreads across his face. "That's--thank you, that's--oh. Do you, do you mind if I stay in the forest for a few days? It didn't occur to me to ask but, you know, if there's an issue I can just stay at the inn--"

You decide, then, that you like Zeke. He is... amusing. His words have a tendency to 'get away from him' and he is kind, with a good heart; a better introduction to face-to-face interaction with humans you could not have gotten.

"It is perfectly fine." You make an attempt at your own smile, which is only the slightest upturn of the corners of your mouth.

"You're a damn saint, er... you don't have a name." Making a face, Zeke scratches the back of his head. "That's kind of awkward to deal with. Mr. Forest Spirit--are you even a mister?"

This gives you pause. You're not entirely sure if you are or not, but... Zeke ought to know better, actually being human and all. "I... suppose so."

"You... suppose so. Okay then." He makes an odd expression and nods, mostly to himself. "I need to come up with a name for you, anyway. Damn, nothing's coming to mind right now." Under his breath, Zeke curses.

"It's alright," you assure him. "I've gone all this time without a name, another few days makes no difference." Despite your attempts at being comforting, Zeke still looks uncomfortable. "What exactly were you curious about?"

At that, his eyes light up. "I mean, everything about you is kind of a mystery, it's... okay, I should be more specific. Um, first things first, where do you come from?"

The rest of the day passes by quickly. Zeke asks questions after question, your answers only making him more inquisitive. Eventually he stops the conversation so he can eat, and soon after that he falls asleep. As the sun sets you note to yourself that calling him the 'sunrise man' at the start, before you knew his name, was not inaccurate.

How funny, that you learn about the humans you are so curious from a human that is so curious about you.

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by you're not my supervisor on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:41 pm

this is so sweet

I'm a girl, by the way.
you're not my supervisor
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by no mom its ironic on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:28 am

detective au talk, cause i may or may not have read a lot of shassie fic recently. like, a lot. i never even finished watching psych, i have no excuse and i'm not even sorry.

i came to the sudden realization that the 'villain gets amnesia and gets taken in by heroes' could totally work with aaron in this au, so. yeah *finger shotguns*

anyway:

all kaime wanted to do was to become a florist, regardless of whether or not it was a waste of their education. it's not like their mom really cared as long as they didnt do anything really stupid, and kaime did well enough.

in the end, it was all saivel's fault, really. before her mother had retuned to korea, saivel had travelled all around but frequently came back to catch up with kaime. a few months after it was certain that rhea was staying in korea, possibly for good, saivel offered to share an apartment with kaime in xia city, instead of returning to her family's home in citadel.

kaime, of course, accepted, and one thing led to another. after accidentally becoming involved in a case, kaime's skills of observation suddenly came to be seen in a whole new light. combined with saivel's intuition and natural understanding of people (though this understanding made her no more sensitive), the two became an unstoppable crime-solving force.

with the aid of detective fuse bentley and his partner lucian white, kaime and saivel end up neck-deep in the quagmire that is the law, and maybe end up a little more involved in the criminal world than initially expected. thankfully they have even more allies in the form of lucian's best friend, chrono, a profiler who seems to be some kind of scientific jack-of-all-trades and yet could not explain his thought process to save his life, and saivel's barista best friend venia their who is always there to brighten up most everyone's day and also provide unique insight.

now, who the hell is this brigid logan--and the aaron frye guy that works for her?

*waves hands around in the air* i don't actually know the specifics of how things get started. maybe saivel or kaime witnesses a crime? hm

prettiest boyo

Back to top Go down

Post by you're not my supervisor on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Ooh, I like it. And I forgive you for not finishing the show and also for the Shassie part.

I'm a girl, by the way.
you're not my supervisor
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by you're not my supervisor on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:42 pm

headcanon that Saivs and Vee started playing spoons (not the card game, the one where you try to hide a spoon in someone else's clothes without them noticing) and Kaime, despite not really understanding the point of the game, joined in. soon everyone in the Citadel is finding silverware in the most random of places with no explanation as to why. the silverware drawer is empty almost constantly because why JUST use spoons when forks, knives, and reusable chopsticks are available as well. Fuse finally had to put the kibosh on it when pens started to go missing. nobody knows whether the paintbrush Aaron found in the showerhead was related (it was. Kaime did it).

I'm a girl, by the way.
you're not my supervisor
Reader of good books
Reader of good books

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 29 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next